AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   Future S4 owners in snowy areas: what do you plan to do about snow tires? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/future-s4-owners-snowy-areas-what-do-you-plan-do-about-snow-tires-1366050/)

Kevin B 09-12-1999 10:05 PM

Future S4 owners in snowy areas: what do you plan to do about snow tires?

DMoore 09-12-1999 10:24 PM

Extra wheels, Nokian NRW's or ??

Tire Rack is already advertising a package of 16"steel wheels, covers and 205/55-16 Blizzaks, for around (I think) $670.

They've previously told me the only 16" alloy they sell that will fit the S4 is the Mille Miglia Spyder. Not a bad looking wheel, similar to the older 16" A4 five spoke wheels. They recommended that wheel and the 205/55-16 Michelin Pilot Alpin for the S4. Total price was a little under $1K.

I'm really partial to the Nokian NRW and the Nokian Hakkapelliita 1. I've had a few sets on my last couple of Quattro's, and I've been really impressed. They have a 205/55-16 in both tires, as well. I don't know if my Nokian source will have access to 16" wheels that fit the S4. If so, I imagine I'll just get a full package from him.

Snow performance is really important to me, and it's the reason I keep buying Quattro's. If there was a 15" wheel that fit I'd buy it, and put 195's on the car. But I doubt that will be possible, so I'll be stuck with the 16's. I wish there was a 195-16 in the appropriate O.D., but I don't think there is.

When the snow melts, the summer wheels go back on. I don't much like the look of the Avus wheels, but maybe they'll grow on me. In any event, my S4 is due soon, and I wouldn't think of new wheels (except for the snows) until next summer.

robfox 09-12-1999 10:26 PM

Two options...

One is to use the stock 17" wheels for winter tires, the other is to buy some 16" wheels (yes, a few will fit, ask tirerack).

I personally will probably use the stock wheels and upgrade wheels/tires next summer.

Jim De Arras 09-13-1999 02:51 AM

Buy some.

Vijay 09-13-1999 04:59 AM

Here's what I'm planning

225/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M02 or Pirelli Winter 210A on stock wheels. 235/40ZR18 Dunlop SP9000 on 18x8.5 BBS RKII next spring. Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, and Bridgestone all make a high performance winter tire with an HR speed rating

Fringe Ryder 09-13-1999 05:08 AM

As in past, switch on the rims...

My current car is a '97 2.8L A4Q with stick, which I've put Blizzaks on the stock rims of every winter. Nicer look than steel, sacrifices less dry-traction than going down in size.

The S4 should be here in about 30 days (ordered it in December); I'm planning to continue the same thing.

Switching costs about $30, twice a year.

AvramD 09-13-1999 06:14 AM

What do people find is the best tradeoff btw snow tracion & tire wear? (more)

I have blizzak (WS-15?)s for my 4kq - they were great in the snow, but they got trashed due to about 4 months of mostly dry roads.

The fronts have a patch where the tread-blocks are worn at an angle, i.e. the treadblock surface is not tangent to the perimiter of the tire. I believe it's from *one* emergency stop in dry.

Now the car thunks at low speed & vibrates at high speed. It's sad b/c these tires have barely been used. They probably have 3000 miles on them.

ErikR 09-13-1999 06:51 AM

Love/hate that tire...other choices, tirerack

That tire had really uneven wear for me, and it had an odd low frequency resonance too. I won't even talk about the worthlessness of that tire past the compound. I like the tirerack, but they must have some sort of kickback deal on those tires because that's all the want to sell.

If you like the ice compounding the closest I have found is the Yok Guardex, it is everything that other tire lacks. A step below these two tires in compounding is the Pirelli ice. The Pirelli is my trade off for 100mph dry and crawling on ice. If I had more ice I would go for the Guardex again.

Paul Allen 09-13-1999 07:01 AM

Blizzaks are great for the wife's minivan- NOT for your S4! (more)

I've used Pirelli 210's (the regular, not the "Ice") on both a Carrera 4 and a '97 M3 (traded for my S4, due this week), and they're great.
"H"-rated, too, for 130 mph (Blizzaks are "never exceed 99 mph").

ChriS4 09-13-1999 09:18 AM

Pirelli or Dunlop winter tires on the avus wheels, maybe set of lighter wheels next spring