S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

FVUK . . . doing timing belt job, pass side camshaft jumped 45-50 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FVUK . . . doing timing belt job, pass side camshaft jumped 45-50 degrees

when we removed the timing belt. Metallic pop when the cam jumped.

Thoughts? Help?

Currently, the plan is to complete the job, then crank over the engine slowly . . . however, not sure on whether or not we should try to pull the cam back into horizontal position (go backwards) or rotate the engine as normal and pull the crank and other cam into position.

Not my car so I'm extra pissed. Thanks.

Dave
Old 03-11-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You sure you heard metal on metal. It's pretty dang normal for a cam to slip a bit and justs need

to be rotated back to the position from whence it came. I think there was even a post about it in the last 10 days.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That should not be a big deal. The valves just lightly tapped the piston.......

when you took tension off the pully (because of the valve springs). There is a tool to prevent that, but the ghetto way works, too. I usually just rotate it back (opposite of the way it spun) into alignment when I am ready to put the new belt back on. Becareful and don't force anything.
Also, next time, if you don't have a tool, when you take the belt off make sure you have a wrench on the pully so you can SLOWLY let the tension off cam.....
Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 AM

Default No camlock bar?

I had one cam jump on me when I pulled the sprocket off because it popped off so hard it knocked the cam lock bar off and then rotated. If you use the lock bar, then there is only one way the cams will fit when you rotate it back into position, so you are safe. If you don't have the bar you should beg, borrow or buy one before you reassemble, just to be safe. Plus, you need the crank lock pin in also.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 AM

Default I've done it pretty much every time I've had my belt off (lots). No probs yet.

Valves are stouter than you think.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you don't have a cam lock bar, I'd be willing to loan you mine. Esp. if you are near CT
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would not turn the crank..

I was crazy and did not use the crank pin or cam bar. Yes, the cams rotated slightly but I turned them back to the proper position while installing the new belt. I doubt I'll try that job again without the tools..

How do you plan on timing the belt?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks everyone.

No cam lock bar. Everything turned out to be ok. I've done two TB jobs prior to this one without the cam lock bar and i've been fine.

Just turned back the cam slowly and aligned the marks and went on with it. Everything turned out to be ok . . . good thing because the guy I was helping is a Cornell prof (not in his class, but still).

Dave
Old 03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I place two marks on each cam sprocket and on the crank sprocket and on the belt

Then I move the marks on the old belt over to the new belt (requires like 30 minutes of repetitive counting of teeth). So far it has worked for me and several other people I know. On my old 2.8L, the dealer used the cam lock bar for a cam seal replacement and actually left it off by one tooth on the passenger side sprocket so it isn't quite fool proof unless you know what you're doing.

Dave
Old 03-11-2006, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had taht happen to me last week. Piggie said no worries just rotate it back.

Quick Reply: FVUK . . . doing timing belt job, pass side camshaft jumped 45-50 degrees