S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

PR - Sheehan Steps Up To Grand-Am Cup Audi Debut

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PR - Sheehan Steps Up To Grand-Am Cup Audi Debut

SHEEHAN STEPS UP TO GRAND-AM CUP AUDI DEBUT

Martinez, CA: U.S. Touring Car Championship driver Gary Sheehan will be making his Grand-Am Cup debut appearance in the Mont-Tremblant 250 race at Le Circuit de Mont-Tremblant on May 22nd, 2004. Sheehan will be driving an Audi S4 Quattro prepared by Istook-Aines Motorsports in the GS class, on a racetrack he knows exceptionally well. While this will be Sheehan's first competitive start in an Audi, he has vast experience racing all-wheel-drive cars, including multiple race wins in the U.S. Touring Car Championship during the 2000-2003 seasons.

The Grand-Am Cup is the premier production car-based endurance racing series in North America. The field is made up of two classes: Sport Touring (ST) and Grand Sport (GS). GS is the more powerful class of the two and is filled with ultra-performance cars such as the BMW M3, Cadillac CTS-V, Nissan 350Z, Ford Mustang Cobra, Porsche 996 and Acura NSX.

The all-wheel-drive, twin-turbo Audi S4 has consistently been a front running car in the series and will be a great match for Sheehan: Gary has been competing and winning in a Subaru Impreza WRX in the U.S. Touring Car Championship over the past three years with great success, most recently finishing second in championship points in 2003. The two cars have similar AWD drive trains, use turbocharged engines, and are set-up with Stoptech brakes. Gary is looking forward to putting his experience to good use in his first Grand-Am Cup appearance.

"I am very excited and can't wait to get in the car for this race!" Sheehan said. "The Istook/Aines Motorsports Audi S4 is a very fast, well-prepared car and I will be in the company of a great team and among some very fast drivers. This is a great opportunity for me and I'm looking to put everything I've got into this effort."

Although this will be Sheehan's first race in Grand-Am Cup, it will not be his first time at Le Circuit de Mont-Tremblant. This is the track where Sheehan began his racing career by attending his first professional racing school back in 1992.

"I have great memories of this track because this is where it all started for me," Sheehan reminisced. "I had never driven a race car before attending the Jim Russell School at Mont-Tremblant. I was hooked immediately and racing has been my focus ever since. It's fitting that my first race in Grand-Am Cup is at this track and it's definitely a motivating factor for me."

The 95-lap race is scheduled to start at 2:00pm eastern time. Spectators will be treated to a full day of Grand-Am cup and Rolex Series practice and qualifying prior to the race start. The race will be broadcast by Speed Channel on Sunday, May 30th at 12:00pm. For more information regarding the race schedule and Grand-Am, visit the Grand American Road Racing website at www.grand-am.com.

For more information on Gary Sheehan and his racing background, please visit the Sheehan Motor Racing website at www.teamSMR.com
Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

GL GARY!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor

Default THE MAN !!!! Check out Gary's run in my car in the S4 shootout

in European Car. He put on a great show, finishing third at Streets of Willow Springs raceway behind the Sportec and Hartmann cars.

GO GARY !!