S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Got to drool over and drive an S4 today here in S.A.!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-1999, 08:40 PM
ChrisK

Default Got to drool over and drive an S4 today here in S.A.!!

Well, I finally got to see one, and it was one I could actually reach out and touch. Imola Yellow, onyx interior, sunroof. In fact, spent a little time behind the wheel, and let me state what everyone already knows, that this is one awesome car! Everything is perfect, turbo lag is a nonfactor...this baby goes like a rocket. Ride is great, not harsh like I was expecting, and the brakes are excellent, although I would prefer them to be just a bit less sensitive...maybe that happens after a few miles...in fact, the Audi rep said that is the reason they are holding up the cars in Houston, because the brakes are TOO sensitive, that they are adjusting them by driving the cars a bit to wear the pads a bit...

I was really impressed, almost to the point where I may plunk down my deposit next week...whaddya guys think of Imola Yellow/Silver Alcantara? That's the color I'm leaning towards...convenience package, cold weather, Bose, Nav system...any comments?

Also, does the Bose package come with a CD changer, or is that separate? Why is the Bose package so much less than the standard A4's?

Chris
(still pretending to clutch that beautiful 3-spoke...)
Old 09-11-1999, 08:43 PM
Tim

Bose doesn't come with CD Changer on 2000 A/S4
Old 09-11-1999, 09:08 PM
Scot McKay

Default You've got to be kidding!!!

There is NO WAY they are putting enough miles on those brand new cars to wear pads! People would mob AoA with torches and pitchforks!

I think the dude was pulling your leg...especially considering how many miles must be on that AoA S4 by now.

Anyway, the important thing here is how was the interior? Is the infamous "gray wood" tasteful? Was the dash lighting red like in the brochure? Was the S4 logo on the speedo killer? Did the shift **** light up like on an M3?

Did the rocker sills with "S4" look killer? Was the fender gap in the front excessive?

Man, I cannot wait for my car.
Old 09-11-1999, 11:16 PM
RocketJohn

Default Me too, AoA Imola Yellow S4 at Phil Long Audi in C.Springs (more)

I was on my way to the HotRod show down at Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway as we passed the Audi dealer and I spotted a yellow S4 in the lot!... Getting excited cuz I am the first to receive a yellow one, I exited quickly nearly taking out a whole lane of traffic... It was an Audi Manufacturer's S4 and was "relaxing" until the Car & Driver guys came back to do more testing. Supposedly, they just got finished racing up Pikes Peak with it... The tires and rotors were absolutely shredded.. I have never seen such deep grooves in rotors! In fact, Audi FEDEX'd a bunch of new parts to be changed out, from obvious wear... there were no keys given to the dealer so all I could do was look at it... but it did looked to be very US spec'd... had the Onyx with Grey Birdseye (just like I ordered) and the BStone RE040s... The cool thing was that I finally got to see the color I ordered... The yellow works for me... It may not be Ferrari Fly Yellow, but its damn close... It will be good to have a stealthy car!

Dealer told me that Audi isn't releasing them for 3 more weeks from the port... Mine gets built next week and then 4 weeks from there... so 3rd to 4th week in Oct... looking forward to some major freakin' power!

RocketJohn
Doing my part to build more S4 anxiety and angst! hehehehe
Old 09-12-1999, 05:30 AM
AvramD

You're intuition is right - S4 Bose is cheaper b/c CD changer is extra
Old 09-12-1999, 08:06 AM
Jim De Arras

That's exactly the car I have on order, you'd enjoy it!
Old 09-12-1999, 09:04 AM
Scott D.

Default I saw that same car at Phil Long Audi -- my observations...

1. When I wore my "grey" lense sunglasses, the Imola Yellow had that subtle "school bus" orange tint to it (which I really like). [I recall some other posters to a4.org asking if the yellow had this shade to it.] But without the sunglasses, it was just a "pure" yellow. So I think the actual appearance of the yellow may be affected by the lense and filters used to view/photograph it. In either case, they definitely got rid of the subtle green tint found in the Brilliant Yellow.

2. I didn't think the front fender gap was too large. It all depends on the lighting and the viewing angle. So I wouldn't fret over it.

3. Finally, I looked real close (as best I could from outside the car) at the Onyx leather seats. I must say, any doubts I had about getting the straight leather in this color are GONE!! They look exceptionally nice, and the leather texture looks <b> way smoother </b> than that of any other Audi model in the parking lot (A4s and A6s). When I asked the salesman about it, he commented that they were trying to capture a feel similar to a nice smooth leather glove for the S4's "Silk Nappa" leather seats. Sold me!! I can't wait to runs my hands over it....
Old 09-12-1999, 07:13 PM
Sandy

Default So you are the guys that are ahead of me at Prestige. . .

So. . . you and Uzanak and Scott D. must be among the guys ahead of me on the Prestige waiting list!! You lucky people. I just found out they only got 4 cars in their November allocation so I've got to wait for their December allocation which should mean no delivery for me until the end of January!

Sandy
Old 09-12-1999, 08:33 PM
Uzanak

Default I will ask my salesperson tomorrow and let you know...(keeping my figners crossed..)

Old 09-12-1999, 09:31 PM
Scott D.

Default I'm not sure which month's allocation I'm on...

...but my Prestige salesman has been telling me that my car's been in "D" status for at least 2 weeks now. And in mid/late August, he said it was scheduled for Week 34 production (which has long since passed).

So maybe this means I'm in the September allocation. If so, when might I expect the car to arrive?

Quick Reply: Got to drool over and drive an S4 today here in S.A.!!