S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Got mine yesterday; brake shudder info, general impressions

Old 09-25-1999, 04:30 PM
S4 in PA

Default Got mine yesterday; brake shudder info, general impressions

Picked up my santorin/onyx/alcantara S4 yesterday. During the drive before the paper signing, the brakes shuddered like the disks were warped bad. My salesperson said the service staff thought the shudder came from rust that had built up on the disks during the long wait on the dock. They said they thought it would eventually wear off, but while we signed the papers and I worried, they pulled the wheels and wire-brushed the rust off.
Shudder gone, entirely.
The car is great. Torque is wonderful. Nail it at sixty in sixth, and you get real acceleration.
Lag is negligible if any. I traded a two-valve 2.8 (97) and feel I have to learn to shift smoothly again, what with the different torque curve & gearing. First is REAL short, starting in second, especially downhill or on rolling stops, is easy. Steering is quicker and has more feel than 97 A4. Suspension is probably not macho enough for boy racers, but doesn’t beat you up either. Brakes (see above) are great.
Dealer is Three Rivers Motor Cars in McMurray, PA (just south of Pittsburgh), sales rep is Kim Kaminsky, who knows her stuff and treats a customer like a customer (that's good). As noted above, service people there are great too. (Kim/Three Rivers does BMWs too, for you folks skulking over here from the Beemer boards.)
Great site, Jason and Matt. You helped me keep the faith during the long wait for the S4.