S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Has anyone here have lasik done or know about it? (sorry its kind of off topic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2000, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone here have lasik done or know about it? (sorry its kind of off topic)

can you get lasik done with astigmatism and/or cataracts? i would like to have it done but i have slight cases of both in both my eyes and would like to know if it can be done. and for those of you that have had the procedure done, how were the results? were you satisifed? what was you vision going in and what was it out?

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-27-2000, 04:38 PM
URS4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim De Arras just had it done. Stay away from pk.
Old 06-27-2000, 04:40 PM

Default pk? sorry i dont know what that means. nm

nm
Old 06-27-2000, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default at least five of my collegues has had it done (more)

surgery in the radial keratotomy sector is outdated and computer guided-laser procedures are taking over. The procedure lasts 12-15 minutes and is pain-free with the help of lidocaine eye-drops. If you are properly screened and the facility is competant, the results can be astounding. If surgeons are having it done to their own eyes, wouldn't you say it works?
Old 06-27-2000, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Has anyone here have lasik done or know about it? (sorry its kind of off topic)

Had it done 2.5 years ago. I was minus 3.5 and minus 4.0 Am still satisfied with results. Astigmatism is taken into account while redhspping. Don't know about cataracts. Only drawback if you are significantly over 40, you eill probably need reading glasses sooner. Now I 20/25 and 20/30. Can highly recommend it, but go to a reputable surgeon who has done lots of them
Old 06-27-2000, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Has anyone here have lasik done or know about it? (sorry its kind of off topic)

Had it done a year ago and it's been awesome!!!! I had quite bad astigmatisms (5.0 & 7.5). PK is an old procedure, not as good.
Old 06-27-2000, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some more info...

Lasik involves cutting a hinged, cylindrical flap off the cornea with a microtome, and using a laser to ablate the underlying stroma to correct the focal length discrepancy of the eye. The flap is then replaced. The procedure will correct astigmatism up to about -1.00 cyl. The cataract is in the lens of the eye, and is not affected by the procedure.

Advantages include less discomfort than with PRK. The procedure also is better suited for people with problems healing (diabetes, excessively dry eyes, etc...). Disadvantage is that there is not enough evidence about whether the corneal flap heals completely. This could lead to the flap lifting up with trauma or high g-forces, and than a corneal transplant could be required. There is also a risk of clouding of the cornea due to postop edema with either ablation procedure-this is usually managed with steroid eyedrops.

PRK is laser ablation of the cornea without first creating a flap. There is more discomfort with this procedure, and it is not as widely perfomed anymore. It does have the advantage of not worrying about a flap coming loose.

RK was the initial corrective procedure that involved actual incisions in the globe of the eye to shorten it. This did weaken the globe and lead to increased risk of globe rupture in the event of direct trauma. This is not done anymore. HTH

Chris C
Old 06-27-2000, 07:48 PM

don't you mean "PRK"? i am going for my screening exam tomorrow. i am getting Lasik.
Old 06-28-2000, 04:47 AM

Default Just had mine done last Thursday.

Lasik will correct astigmatism, but does nothing for cataracts. Lasik does not touch the actual lens, which is where a cataract is located, it reshapes the cornea, which does 80% of the focusing anyway.

I had both eyes done, best thing I ever did. Vision in both eyes is at least 20/20, now, I get a real test in 3 more weeks. I was 20/200+ with astigmatism in both eyes.

But with Cataracts, you may not be a good canidate for Lasik, at least not before the cataracts are removed.<p>Jim De Arras

<a href="http://www.imola.org">2000 00 Imola/Onyx/Alcantera S4</a>
MTM Stage II (Stage III on order)
MTM Full Suspension
MTM/Pagid Brake pads
UUC Short Shifter (original 20%)
Michelin Pilot Sports.
SmartTire Tire Monitor
Old 06-28-2000, 04:54 AM

Default Cornea flap concerns real, but extreme.

No evidence that the flap will displace (after the first year) under high G's and even if it does, re-setting it would be the normal repair, corneal transplant would be a very rare event indeed.

My Doctor told me he had a paitent last week that got a rock thrown into his eye by a weed-wacker, at 7 month post-Lasik. The flap did not move, but the eye did require surgery, and he will have a visible scar. The flaps are pretty thin, and seem to re-adhere well.<p>Jim De Arras

<a href="http://www.imola.org">2000 00 Imola/Onyx/Alcantera S4</a>
MTM Stage II (Stage III on order)
MTM Full Suspension
MTM/Pagid Brake pads
UUC Short Shifter (original 20%)
Michelin Pilot Sports.
SmartTire Tire Monitor

Quick Reply: Has anyone here have lasik done or know about it? (sorry its kind of off topic)