S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Have a question about BOV (DV's)

Old 10-29-2004, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a question about BOV (DV's)

Okay I was just being curious. I know you are not suppose to run BOV out into the atmosphere on audi's (I had an a4 before the S4.) I had two Greddy type S bov with the recirculation kit, but me being me, I wanted to have them make some noise before I put the recirculation kit on. I plugged the holes for the recirculated are to go (with the provided plugs,) and I went for a test drive. I drove around and I could barely even hear the BOV's pop off when I let off the throttle. Now on my A4 it was really loud. Why is is on my S4 they are really quiet. I played with the adjustments on them, but really did not make any difference accept for when they were too soft, they created a leak. Why are they not loud at all?????
I have an APR chip with 91-93-100 settings. I just find it odd. Anyone else with this experience? BTW I am going to have the recirculate, I was just being mischeif and wanted to make some noise for the first day I had them on...
Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 PM

Default just use bpv's.

what you're after is something that will not improve your car's performance...

sounds like you're aware of this, but let us know if there are any issues after your bpv's are back in.

by the way, you may want to look into 710 dv's. i have them and they are great.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You are asking for trouble...

BOV's = RICER

BPV's = CLASS ACT (S4)

Why do you want that "whooshing" (pop off) noise anyway? It is a low-rent thrill...

You want noise? Get serious DP's and exhaust,...
or hum a little tune to yourself while you drive fast. :-D
Old 10-29-2004, 08:20 PM

yeap, nothing like the understated effect, imho.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: just use bpv's.

I know I was just playing around and wanted to see how lou8d they would be... I have 710N DV's, I know they are rice to have them make noise, but I felt like being "rice" for a couple of hours---just was curious to how they would sound--obviously not good at all--- I also noticed a slight deduction in boost, it drops down to 13psi instead of the 15psi---I thought that was interesting... The DV's will be back on in the morning as soon as the car cools down...
Old 10-29-2004, 08:27 PM

Default sounds like a plan :-)

the reduction in boost may be due to the fact the bov's vent off excess boost, which is preserved for the S4's intake path in the bpv setup.

i remember reading that docslow and k04madness both had bov's on their cars a while back. may want to search the archives for their feedback.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default different tools for the same job..........

The S4, however was designed to recirculate the unused air back to the intake (ala Bypass Valves). If you are to replace them with Blowoff valves, the system will be pumping in more fuel than is necessary (since the air was not re-used, but blown out entirely).
Old 10-29-2004, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed. It is all about the stealth
Old 10-29-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Will they work the same?

will they work the same as the 710 DV's if I put them back into the recirculation???
Old 10-30-2004, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Air Already Metered

The MAF has already metered the air. Dumping it back to atmosphere will cause it to go rich since the ECU will add fuel based on the air that it thinks is already there.

Unless programmed to account for this or converting to a speed density system, you will not want to do this.

That is besides the obvious negative context associated with the modification.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have a question about BOV (DV's)