S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Heat Shield Noise???

Old 03-17-2002, 12:20 PM
OSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Shield Noise???

There is a persistent high frequency chirping-like sound coming from the engine compartment whenever I accelerate (and the engine is warmed up). The dealer mechanics have heard the noise and claim that it is caused by vibration from the heat shields and there is nothing that can be done. They claim that it is normal for the 2001 S4's. They "adjusted" the heat shields several times but the noise always comes back. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there any fixes?
Old 03-03-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heat Shield Noise???

I might be having something similar, it's sort of a chirp/tingle sound that occurs. It normally happens during the evening, it's like a 98%-2% evening/day split.

Unfortunately, the managers at my dealership are useless. During my first drive with one of them, it made all the noise, but the A$$HO%$ had no clue what it was. After several complaints and visits, the main technician for the west coast drove with me. After telling them that it makes the noise during the evening the A$$HO#@ made the appointment during the morning, and sure enough, it was the smoothest ride ever. But from my descriptions, he claimed that it could be either the heat shield and/or the transmission, because the noise seems to be coming from or near the gear box. When it occurs, I've tried to hold the shifter down firmly, upon which, the sound either stops or reduces.

Anyhow, not hearing the sound, he just looked at the heat shield and made and adjustment (at least that's what I was told). But since then the sound reduced dramatically, but did not disappear. It seems to be starting up again, along with a wind noise/whistle when I drive with my sunroof open.

I'll keep you posted, please do the same.