S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help diagnosing a sound....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing a sound....

OK, I STFA and came up with a possible wheel bearing or engine mounts and would like to know your opinions.

I have been having an erratic clunking/thunking sound that seems to be rotational in nature. It is only noticeable at lower speeds, and is only present when I have let off the gas, or rather when it is off-load. Under braking and acceleration there is no sound, yet when coasting there is a rotational "thunking". My first thoughts were CV joint seeing as at that time it seemed to change when turning, yet after inspecting the underside during a pressure test this weekend, there were no tears/rips in the CV boots, and no signs of leaks. I haven't ruled out wheel bearing, altohugh the last time it went it was more of a "roaring" like an unbalanced tire instead of this clu-thunking. I've wiggled the tires and everything seems tight, or rather not loose.

Any ideas on what it might be?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've been experiencing the same thing- at least the way you

describe it. When I brought in my car for its 40k service at the dealership, I asked them to diagnose it- of course they couldn't find anything. The car runs great, but the sound is slightly irritating. Like you, I only hear the sound when I'm coasting- under braking and acceleration I don't hear anything. Weird...
Old 02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not wheel bearing...that doesn't "clunk"...it hums loudly and is speed dependent...

Does the sound occur when you have the clutch in and out? Gear shift in neutral or in gear?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 AM

Default I just had mine in for similar symptons...

I just had mine into the dealer last week for what sounds like the exact same symptoms. Mine was still under warranty on 2/17/05, and the first reaction was that they couldn't reproduce the noise.

It turned out to be an engine mount that was causes the clunking when the engine would shift during slow starts and when slowing the car using the engine to slow it and no brakes.

Got it back on Friday, clunking is gone. I still hear some other noises, but I might be hyper sensitive now. Hope that helps you.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It happens whether clutch is engaged or not, as well as out of gear...

I didnt' think it was a wheel bearing, but aside from an engine mount it was the only think I saw pop up.

It is rotational though, as in the clunking seems to change frequency when slowing but only when no engine or braking load is being transferred, or rather during braking and under acceleration the sound is not present.