S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help... I need some ideas on my continuing boost issues...

Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... I need some ideas on my continuing boost issues...

As you may remember, I posted about my boost issues last week. The boost comes in surges as I accelerate at 1/2 (normal, not WOT) throttle. The needle on my boost gauge will slowly move back and forth from about 5psi-15psi, matching the cars non-linear acceleration characteristics. It is physically noticable as well since the car slightly bucks as this is happening (I feel it, although my passengers often do not). Furthermore, I can hear the turbos spool-up, then down, then up again along with this boost fluctuation.

Of course, I figured it must just be a boost leak, so I pressure tested the system, and figured I had the problem pinned down when I found a large crack in my passenger's side intercooler input pipe. I bought a set of like-new replacements from another AW member, and was expecting the problem to be gone when I finished installing the new IC two days ago... I was wrong, its still just as noticable as before.

The pressure test did not reveal any other leaks. I'm thinking of replacing my 710n diverter valves to see if that makes a difference, but I doubt it will since I don't have any "BOV-like sound" when shifting.

Any ideas of what I should look at/replace? I'll try to get some VAG-COM graph runs this evening. Could these problems just be the symptoms of my turbo breathing their last few breaths before dying? I don't have any DTC's.

Any help would be very appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a CEL? Have you scanned for DTCs?

Does it happen at WOT?

Some hesitation on occasion in GIAC chipped cars is not abnormal. I had it usually only at part throttle, and in higher gears (or at higher speed, whatever makes more sense).

But it was always fine at WOT...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 AM

Default There is no CEL, and there are no DTC's (I've checked). I don't think this is the somewhat normal...

... GIAC hesitation because I've had the chip in for a couple months now, and only recently began experiencing this problem. To answer your question though, yes it is only at part-throttle (WOT throttle is smooth).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default do you have a stock ECU? Does it happen with the stock ECU in?

...i'm at a loss. N75 Valve? Most sensors (thankfully) through a DTC so you kind of know what's going on.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Have you pressure tested after fixing the IC?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default IIRC, this happened after you did a MBC in parallel, no?

try going into engine adaptation channel 0 and resetting them.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just throwing this out there - what about a bad N75?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Well, yes and no...

I was having some hesitation at WOT (I figured it was throttle-cut), so I installed the MBC. Shortly after that I began noticing this new hesitation at 1/2 throttle. Not sure if it was there before the MBC install or not, but the MBC did seem to stop the WOT hesitation. I am thinking of taking it out to see how the car runs without it, but that would be a rather in-depth task after having to splice the N75 related hoses to run it in parallel. I have quadruple-checked everything, and I know it is installed correctly. What would cause this problem that would be related to the MBC (AFAIK, the MBC wouldn't even function at 1/2 throttle, it would only kick in at WOT when there was a spike, correct?)

What would resetting the engine adaptation channel do? I haven't heard of that procedure before.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:52 AM

Yes, no apparent leaks.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

pull the MBC out and put it back to normal N75 only and see if problem is still there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help... I need some ideas on my continuing boost issues...