S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help - Radio Antenna Failure???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Radio Antenna Failure???

I have a 2001 S4 with the Symphony/Bose combination. I recently realized that I have no AM reception. FM works on the preset stations but when I scan for stations it doesn't lock up on any. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the antenna system but I would appreciate any advice offerred. I checked the connections in the C pillars to no avail.

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find anything relevant to my problem.

Thanks,
SMF
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 AM

mine has gotten pretty ****ty lately too... hmm
Old 06-28-2005, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like the antenna amp is gone. mine is more crappy recently because the wire to the

diversity antenna ist kapputt.

do you have a sedan or an avant?

in the avant the amp is in the base of the roof mounted antenna. you can swap it out as they are pretty cheap. but you have to drop the headliner... fun fun
Old 06-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: sounds like the antenna amp is gone. mine is more crappy recently because the wire to the

I thought that there were multiple amps - one for AM and one or more for FM located in the C pillars (AM on drivers side and FM on passenger). Am I wrong?

Thanks for the reply.

SMF
Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Think there are 4 with a switch. There are two modules each at the top and bottom of the

windshield, and a switch in the trunk on the drivers side in front of the toolkit area. Be careful working with the rear package shelf as you can damage the lower two(wires/plugs) removing/sliding it around while unbolted... know from experience unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

which wires/plugs did you damage? the one coming from the amp on my FM diversity in my avant busted
Old 06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Think there are 4 with a switch. There are two modules each at the top and bottom of the

I assume when you talk about the tool kit the switch is behind the access door to the toolkit - I'll look around and see if I can spot what you are talking about.

Is there any way to troubleshoot the system to narrow down/isolate the problem? How do I figure out what is not functioning if I don't find something simple like a disconnected or loose wire?

Also - does the fact that I have reduced sensitivity on both AM and FM mean anything?

Thanks,
SMF
Old 06-28-2005, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The switch is somewhere forward of the toolkit area, behind the trunk panel(Bose amp is back there

as well, both hidden from view). You can troubleshoot by getting access to the switch and trying things by unplugging the antenna/transponder leads there ie unplug one and see if the reception gets worse, one at a time. The way I think this all works is there are 4 leads in the rear glass and the switch picks the reception from the strongest transponder and uses that as the primary, the switch swapping as necessary to maintain reception. If you have poor reception now(with no transponders pulled) I'd start at the back of the headunit and check the cabling there and at the switchblock in the rear. Maybe the cable or switch is the issue...

Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Driver's side lower transponder. Cable socket pulled out. Reception is fine with the other 3...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The switch is somewhere forward of the toolkit area, behind the trunk panel(Bose amp is back the

Thanks. I'll start at the back as I don't have the tools to pull the head unit. I was thinking it had to be a common component as both AM and FM have reduced sensitivity.

SMF

Quick Reply: Help - Radio Antenna Failure???