S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help! Timing Belt Tensioner Broke...Belt Slipped..(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Timing Belt Tensioner Broke...Belt Slipped..(long)

I'm new to the forums, as I just bought my S4 two weeks ago. Unfortunately, it sounds like I've got some major issues. I bought it from an Audi mechanic who had just redone the whole head, belt, water pump, etc...He had bought it off the dealer after someone traded it in due to a timing belt failure. Now after two weeks, I am driving home and here a clacking type of sound every little bit. As I get closer to home, the sound is getting louder and louder. I decide to drive home, since it seems to be driving fine, and I have about a mile to go. As I pull in my driveway the sound is really loud, but the car idles fine, although I do have a check engine light now. I immediately shut the engine off so nothing gets messed up. I call the dealer and they say to tow it in. I tow it in..and wait a few days. They call me today and say it looks like the timing belt skipped a few teeth, and that it's pretty much guaranteed the valves are bent/heads damaged. Apparently, the bolt that secures the tensioner sheared off. My question is, does it sound like there is for sure damage?? I understand if the belt slipped, there probably is. But, I also read a post that said the engine wouldn't idle properly if the valves were bent. Secondly, he said it would get pretty costly to fix(5-6k at least). He said it would be another 10 hours I believe to pull the engine and look to see. So, what do I do?? If there is indeed major damage, I might as well buy a new engine. Would it be worth it to have them pull the engine and look? I can probably afford to have them pull the engine and look at it, but I probably couldn't afford to do anything after they find something wrong. Is there a chance that it could be something less major causing this? Also, is there a chance that just having them put a new tensioner on, and redoing the timing belt could fix it? I don't have the money for either a full repair, or a replacement engine at the moment(I could probably get the engine, but couldn't afford to have it put in), so the car will be towed back to my house either way. Thanks for any information!!

Ben
Old 03-08-2005, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

You decide to drive it home, but shut the engine off right away to prevent damage? Um....
Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Well, the sound was hardly noticeable until I pulled in my lane...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you bought if off a mechanic

can't you have him take a look at it? That's the least he could do if you just picked up the car off him.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Where do you live? Most audi dealer service depts. leave a lot to be desired...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why would you have them pull the engine and then not do anything?

Then you would just have a car and an engine - not even a car with a broken engine in it. Have the mechanic fix it because he sold it to you after performing faulty work. 2 weeks is too long for the lemon law unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default trust me, you are screwed. as far as making up your mind on what to do....

that's for you to decide. i would go asking questions of a warranty with the mechanic's shop that so called did all the work to it or whatever the story is. but a used engine would be cheaper than trying to repair it. given that it is what you think it is. either way you will have to pull the engine to find out. good luck!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:57 PM

Default The mech is in PA, I'm in IN....

I bought the car from him in Pennsylvania, I live in Indiana. I'm emailing him and waiting for a response. As to Hibiscus, I didn't have them pull the engine, and I probably won't. That was one of my questions. They pulled the front apart so they could look at the timing belt. I can't afford to do the whole repair right now(it would just be towed home until I do have enough money), unless you guys think that it COULD be something simple or that the whole engine isn't toast...then I would have them pull the engine and look at it(ie...if I think it would be less than say...$3k to fix it).

Thanks
Ben
Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it was idling normal, there's no guarantee of engine damage. You won't know for certain until

you look inside. The easiest way is just to pull the plugs and use a boroscope.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You need to get it to a good independent mechanic. Take it to detroit and have Piggie look at it.

Or, post where you are and see if someone knows of a quality shop near where you are. Where in Indiana are you, btw?

Quick Reply: Help! Timing Belt Tensioner Broke...Belt Slipped..(long)