S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

hhhmm... Heat Wraps = Shorter Pipe Life as in manifold or header - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hhhmm... Heat Wraps = Shorter Pipe Life as in manifold or header - Discuss

"All header wraps contribute to shorter header life due to the intense heat within the wrap."

wondering is this is true...or is this specific to race applications on cheap or light steel, i.e., not indiciative of the quality of a production vehicle's headers or manifolds.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ProductDetails.asp?RecId=393">Pegasus Racing Product Description</a></li></ul>
Old 08-23-2004, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just took a set of wrapped stainless headers off my Viper. I can tell you that the ceramic coating

is pretty much history and the headers are rusted. They are made out of 304 stainless so them rusting is a significant indication of harsh conditions in my book. I have heard of people saying the damage is from the wrap trapping water but that is crazy since the headers and wrap are so freakin' hot two minutes after you start the engine water would never stay in liquid form int he wrap.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes it is true. I think not only b/c of the high heat that is held in

but also moisture will be held in longer.

There was a guy on h-t selling military spec heat wrap in 100ft rolls for like 30 bucks. I was going to get it then decided not to. Why not look into getting your manifold coated by like jet hot?

Some people on h-t have gotten thiers coated and claims it has cut down on some of the heat in the engine bay.

I just got a turbo blanket and have noticed a decrease in engine bay temps waiting for my new turbo setup before I either get the heat wrap or get the manifold coated.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 AM

Jet hot coating &gt; wraps
Old 08-23-2004, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

No way there is moisture in the wrap. Its 500F at least when you turn the car off.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So your telling me when you park something that is hot and it cools down

It can not collect moisture?

I find that hard to believe simple b/c when I park my car in the garage after a good run and I open the hood later in the day I see the downpipe and other components in the engine bay are damp/wet from all the moisture. Remember we do not live in AZ there is a ton of humidity up here in PA.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your car sits much more than it runs hence the moisture...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well it would have to cool down to the dew point in order to have water condense on it. Possible in

the morning i guess (just like dew on the grass), but it would do that with or without the wrap, and once you started the engine it would cook off immediately.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

From where though? Dew point condensation? I find that hard to believe.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:29 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default actually it doesn't have to be moisture you see...it can be

water vapor, i.e. natural humidity which will traverse the wrap and get inside. water vapor can go virtually anywhere...it can traverse plastic containers, etc.

my theory however is:

your normal header or manifold will rust on the surface and essentially create a crust that protects the rest of the wall thickness, thus they have a good life at 100k miles and more.

a wrapped or ceramic coated header concentrates any moisture crossing over it to the metal side into the metal because of the intensity of the temperature. a protective crust forms, but then keeps growing. eventually creating weaknesses in areas much sooner, and corroding the metal at a much greater rate.

you're both correct that it's the cycling of of intense heat to cold that does it. moisture ingress when it's cold + extreme oxidation under high temps when hot = shorter life.

Quick Reply: hhhmm... Heat Wraps = Shorter Pipe Life as in manifold or header - Discuss