AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   High speed with a Q45 today (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/high-speed-q45-today-1383489/)

Esse Quattro 08-21-2000 08:26 PM

High speed with a Q45 today

On the way to a friend's house today, I jumped on the entrance to the 826 from US-1 and pushed it a little on the on ramp, getting up to about 80 on the ending curve of the ramp. As I was entering the first straight section, I noticed that the car I had been gaining on wasn't coming closer any more. I was about set to level it out at 80 and cruise when the car (the Q45) started pulling away. Of course I'm thinking "Let's play" :)

So, I kept the gas pressed pretty far in 5th, thinking this would be an easy victory. I should have down shifted to 4th; the Infinity started pulling away. So, I floored it in 5th, and held it there until about 5000 rpm. As soon as I stomped it, we were even, with me maybe closing the distance slightly. As we got to about 100, I started gaining more on him, closing the distance. Before we reached the first exit, I was doing 130, and rapidly closing the gap.

Unfortunately, there was traffic ahead, so we both put on the brakes and I coasted up to him to give a thumbs up. Sadly, he didn't even acknowledge my respect for another sedan with great power.

While I didn't get a detailed look at the car, it was quite new, so it could have been the new Q45 with 345 hp. Then again, it could have been a 99'. In either case, the car had very respectable power at high speeds. I enjoyed the heck out of it; I just hope I don't read some lame "I beat an S4" posting on some Infinity board. :)

Esse Quattro 08-22-2000 04:47 AM

no, totally stock (more)

If it wasn't obvious from the post, I didn't initally think this guy wanted to race. Even when I saw that he was keeping up with me at 80, I never expected him to hang with me at 100+, so I didn't initially really push the car. I think if we'd started side by side, I'd have left him, but who knows. Next time, we'll see. :)

The R 08-22-2000 07:37 AM

Are you in Miami? Damn, I miss the good roads down there. :(

Esse Quattro 08-22-2000 09:17 AM

Yeah, I'm in Miami. What roads did you like down here?

The R 08-22-2000 09:40 AM

I like them all. I-95, Turnpike, Sawgrass.......I lived in Boca for 16 years..now I am in Texass

The roads here are no where near as smooth. I think if I moved back there again, I would get in alot of trouble. You can flat out run on I-95 between I think its Ives Dairy Road and Broward Blvd.....where every its 4 or 5 lanes wide with the banking in the turns. Actually its farther north than that but my memory is slipping a little. Its been two years since I've been down there. I miss those nights coming home from Miami at 4am running at classified speeds. :) 'snif'' 'snif'....those were the good ole days.

Be careful racing nowadays.....a friend of mine got pulled over by a cop in a Type R. He raced this type R on the highway and then exited...was around the corner from his job when a cop pulled him over. When he got out of the car, Nigel was like "why did you pull me over, I wasn't speeding". The cop said, "I pulled you over for racing"....Nigel said, "Racing who?"......then the white Type R pulls up. Needless to say, he got a ticket.