S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hope I don't get razzed for this but I am confused or ignorant on the posting rules, kind of long..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope I don't get razzed for this but I am confused or ignorant on the posting rules, kind of long..

A guy asked ?'s about certain DP and wanted to know how, where, and what are they like. The kind of questions most of us ask when we would like to know about "Audi Related" products out on the market such as turbo timers, lights, gauges, rims and tires. In this case it was DP's and I did not know that telling someone where that can get a product is considered a "commercial post". All the answers to his questions, which were "Audi" related were deleted. If there is a turbo timer company out there that advertises and we all here of a better or same quality timer some where else, or if some of us think it's better, it seems we cannot speak of it or ask questions about it. Is this an audi enthusiast site for the users on the forum, or is it a " Speak of advertised company only" site. Should people ask questions about non advertised products on Audi related products in a different area?

I know advertisers keep this site up and running, but why do we have a site for the user's on the forum if you cannot share your experience of other 3rd party products that can help out other audi heads about good or bad products. I trust a lot of the "big brains" on this forum, and like to hear of new products and their experiences with them. Razz away or should I say delete away : ). Just asking, no biggy, just wanted to know the "Rules".
Old 03-28-2002, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I never had a problem with posting about

which manufacturer sold what product. This must be a new occurance.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See Jason Teller's post below........

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/741585.phtml">Jason Teller's post on this matter.</a></li></ul>
Old 03-28-2002, 09:41 AM

Default A/W decided to moderate to allow commercial posts from paying advertisers, this opens a can of worms

because then they have to decide what constitutes a commercial post. There is going to be subjective influences in the decisions. A/W believes that this increases the advertising dollar they can command from advertisers, I don't know if it really does, but there is a balance they have to walk in order to keep the money flowing from the advertisers and keep the board interesting enough where it is not just a " Speak of advertised company only" site.

IF what happened is how you explained it in your post, then that is definitely wrong. I would like to find out about new products, even those that don't advertise. Hopefully, AW isn't going to that extreme to please the advertisers, because then they will have a bigger problem, they will start losing readers.

-alex
Old 03-28-2002, 09:45 AM

Default so Jason is deciding for us what products we can look at?

he says:

"You might argue that it is no big deal and that the "right" to get information out is more
important. Information is fine. However I believe that certain people are marketing products
through the forums exclusively. They do not pay for the ability to speak to this captive
audience. They may or may not have the wherewithal to ensure they are a sustained
commercial entity that uses legitimate avenues to manufacture, test, market and support
their products."

Well, I certainly appreciate Jason's concern with our getting products from commercially viable entities, but maybe he should just post his concern rather than deleting posts about products he thinks we don't need to see.

And by the way, we are not a captive audience (some of may be slightly addicted)....

Just my opinion (don't want to get on AWs bad side or anything....)

-alex
Old 03-28-2002, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Uhhh....The Race Store was a paying advertiser and look how many people they screwed over!

"...They may or may not have the wherewithal to ensure they are a sustained commercial entity that uses legitimate avenues to manufacture, test, market and support their products."

So as long as you PAY to advertise you can do business in a garage, basement or warehouse and it's okay?! Uh okay....that protected everyone from getting rolled didn't it! :-/
Old 03-28-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

oh so true..
Old 03-28-2002, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed... I better be able to post about products I buy from non-advertisors or...

I'm outta here and I'm sure a lot of others will be too.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Standby for this post to be deleted!
Old 03-28-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is subjectivity

We do our absolute best. We try as hard as we can to be fair and honest and give everybody the benefit of the doubt, etc. We don't hold grudges and we don't seek people to victimize. At the same time we have to make some judgement calls. When you see somebody sort of skirting around the rules and not exactly doing anything wrong, but also attracting attention and potential buyers (despite not making offers to sell) then you just have to make a judgement call.

Noneckjo made a long post and it did get deleted because it was a response to something else. I'm sorry about that.

We definitely never want to stiffle information. I said that before and I stick by it. Sometimes I'd like to ask readers to loosen up just a little bit and not think that every decision has a sinister intention behind it. I, myself, am trying to chill out too.

Quick Reply: Hope I don't get razzed for this but I am confused or ignorant on the posting rules, kind of long..