S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How can I clear my car from "limp mode" without a VAG COM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I clear my car from "limp mode" without a VAG COM?

Like an idiot, I apparently forgot to tighten the lower DV tube's clamp enough when reassembling everything after my timing belt replacement yesterday, and it popped off this evening and threw me into limp mode. Also, in a complete case of cosmic irony... this happened just as I got off the Turnpike, coming home from meeting up with a buddy about 45 minutes away... a friend I had just lent my VAG-COM to, figuring I wouldn't need it for the rest of the week, lol. Anyway, I found the problem, tightened the clamp, and am ready to drive off. Will unhooking the negetive battery terminal reset the limp mode? If not, what will. This may be a stupid question, but I have never been without my VAF-COM, and STFA didn't come up with any help. TIA for the help :-)
Old 06-19-2005, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default With APR software, just hold the "Resume" cruise control button for 5 seconds...

"Fault Code Erase/Throttle-Body Alignment (Optional)

The EMCS fault code erase feature can be used to erase all fault codes present on the engine computer. The throttle body alignment feature can be used to manually run the throttle body alignment sequence. These features are only available as a pair. Both features are activated using the cruise control RESUME button.

Erasing Fault Codes / Performing Throttle-Body Alignment
1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
2. Be sure that your EMCS module is in the UNLOCKED state (if equipped with the security feature.)
3. You will use the cruise control RESUME button to access these two functions. To erase fault codes, hold the RESUME button until the check engine light starts blinking once per second and then release the cruise control button. The EPC light will stay illuminated while the check engine light is blinking (this is to distinguish between the program switching mode.)

To run the throttle body adaptation sequence, hold the RESUME button until the check engine light blinks two times per second and then release the cruise control button. Note: Throttle body alignment is only possible when the ignition is ON and the engine is not running. Also, only attempt to run the throttle body adaptation sequence when the engine is cold."
Old 06-19-2005, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info, but I am not running APR software. Unhooking the battery actually fixed it.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default (just restart the car) lol..thaks for letting me use the Vag-com , did you find that loose clamp

after i talk to you ?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1396163.phtml">turning the engine off will reset out of limp mode ..</a></li></ul>