S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How much for Nav+ Install

Old 04-30-2006, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for Nav+ Install

Guy I've been talking with wants at least 400 bucks. Hes certified Audi tech, but still that seems really steep to me. The seller who is an electrical engineer promised me no problems and the only wiring would be the two wires to the cluster. The only Vaging would be for the guage cluster everything else is setup for my car.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

$400 to install would be WAY too much.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:29 AM

If you live near me (Eastern PA), I'd be happy to help you with the install.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: How much for Nav+ Install

I live in socal (oceanside), so if anyone is willing to help me out in the area I'd definetely be interested in what you would want for the install. Thanks Guys
Old 04-30-2006, 07:32 AM

D-navi or Rns-E???
Old 04-30-2006, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some time back, these units were being installed without new wiring harnesses....

Now, you can get a new harness that simply plugs into your existing wiring and then goes to the Nav unit. It literally takes a few minutes to pull the radio, plug things in and go.

If the people you're having install it are trying to re-wire everything to the new unit, then it will take much longer.

Do you know how they are trying to do it?

Also, which Nav+, the older one or newer one (RNS-E)?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Some time back, these units were being installed without new wiring harnesses....

its is the older unit rns-d, and he talked about the possibilty of rewiring everything as he hadn't seen many vendors wiring it correctly. I'm confident my seller did a good job, I actually picked it up from him in person from his work place where he is quality control for electronics manfucacter, pardon my spelling. I didn't realize the rewiring would even be necessary
Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

its the older cd-rom verson
Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default that's the thing - you DON'T need to re-wire these days since you can buy a connector.....

that goes from your car's existing wiring to the new unit.

If you do not have a TMC box with it, you do not need to wire anything to the instrument cluster.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Theres no way u can plug a D-Navi into a S4 in a matter of minutes

The plug and play adaptor only makes one of the 4 wiring harnesses an easy connection plus it includes the GALA switch for in car video
....There's still a good amount of wiring required for the install like the other factory radio harnesses ,the two TMC pin connectors(Which I assume your also installing since you mention running wires(CAN) to the odometer) and Reverse wire

The Job isn't hard at all and not worth paying 400 for...He maybe charging a lil bit more because he maybe planning to install the GPS antenna on the Rear dash which take a bit of time to do...IMO install the GPS Antenna under the front dash on the flat metal surface thats just above the fuses near the drivers side door....I installed mine there and it works perfectly! im always getting 5 to 7(out of 7) satelites always....Let the Tech know that, it should save u almost a $100 on the install since it knocks alot of time from the install

If i lived in Socal i would come help u out no charge....Think i could do all the wiring again besides the 2 Can wires to the Odometer cluster(mines a 2000 so didn't have to do it) in about an hour and much less if i had the Pin extractor tool

IMO go back to him and let him know where about the gps antenna location and tell him your not going to pay more then 200-250 because it should take him longer then an hour and a half tops to complete

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much for Nav+ Install