S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How is this for a new idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2000, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is this for a new idea?

I am planning on buying the APR chip with the EMCS. Hope I got the letters in the correct order, I know how this board can be some times. I want to keep the cruise control functional, so I can use it on long trips, and the dealer might actually figure it out. So, I am going to use the lighter instead. Push down, chip boost, pull up, stock boost. How is this for an idea? I do not smoke, so the lighter is a waste. The dealer will never think to look there. Also, it will be basically the same hookup electronically. Of course, I only want two programs. Three or more programs might be a little harder. Tell me what you think. Be nice.
Old 06-28-2000, 08:45 AM
Elder Member

ECM
Old 06-28-2000, 09:09 AM
MC

Default One problem..

The reason why people use the cruise control is that it is conected to the ECU. Its Very simple to make the controls do another fuction. This is a nice solution as you do not have to use any extra wiring.

You would have to call APR and talk with Brett to determine if the controls can be fed outside the ECU. My guess is they cannot.

GIAC has a chipswitch available that can be had with a external wire hookup. One small wire that exits the box from under the ECU. When it hits 12 high it goes to a high performance program.

I have this setup now.

You can hide the switch anywhere you like. I added mine to the rear foglight switch. rear Fog on and bingo high boost. Fog off low boost. I have been pulled over 3 times for having the rear fog light on. It looks like you have a right tail light out so i do not use it. That location was perfect for me.

You could also get a second fog light switch and add it to the blank spot in the dash.

Or hide the switch under the seat ect...

Take care..

MC
Old 06-28-2000, 09:36 AM

Default cruise still works....

I think the cruise control will still work even with the chip installed. The buttons only control chip when the ignition is on and the engine off. With the engine on I believe that the cruise functins normally.
Old 06-28-2000, 09:49 AM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Despite the high-tech design of the S4, it is not available with electronic countermeasures.
Old 06-28-2000, 11:03 AM

LOL
Old 06-28-2000, 11:53 AM

Default Sure, this could be done...

But I still think the cruise-control switching mode would be a much better option.

We prefer the switching mode using the cruise control buttons for the drive-by-wire cars: Cruise control functions are not interrupted, and no additional wires are required outside the ECU. Also, additional features such as throttle body realignment, and fault code erase can be implemented.

<i>A note on cruise control functionality-</i> The cruise control remains 100% functional with EMCS, no matter what options you choose. Also, the security lock-out feature that we offer prevents anyone without knowledge of the customer unique EMCS security code from accessing ANY of the EMCS cruise control features. When the ECU is in the lock-out mode, everything will appear 100% stock. Re-entering the security code is fast and painless, with no feedback until the correct code is entered.

On our EMCS modules, we have also implemented a switching mode using an external hookup. This mode is primarily intended for the non-drive-by-wire vehicles (pre-2000) as these cars do not have direct contact between the ECU and the cruise control buttons. We highly recommend using the cruise-control method with the drive-by-wire cars as no additional switches or wires are necessary.

Thanks,

Brett
APR