S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I got my SPP (a-pillar) turbo gauge installed, it works and looks great, I highly recommend.

Old 09-04-2001, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my SPP (a-pillar) turbo gauge installed, it works and looks great, I highly recommend.

no pics yet, hopefully soon.
also, I would not suggest the red gel for the gauge. Since the needle is red, it makes it hard to read at night. I am going to go to super white (which matches the needle on the s4 tach anyway)
Old 09-04-2001, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look forward to your pics...
Old 09-04-2001, 10:40 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is the material color match for the A-Pillar?
Old 09-04-2001, 10:41 AM

it's black, matches pretty well, not perfect, but almost, my car has been in the sun though.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I can comment on this first hand as I've seen the actual A pillar (black) in person.

The A pillar gauge's color is different. Different enough for me not to get it. If you spend $40+K on a car, and Audi has paid great attention to detail interior fabrics and color, then why ruin it.

The color is much darker (it's definitely black compared to warm dark black/gray of the headliner/rest of black fabric). In addition, the A pillar is more padded versus the hard feel of the original pillar. The fabric texture is also different. The "courseness" of the original pattern is missing from the pod gauge fabric.

Then, the fabric is thin and not glued to stay there. So, you can conceivably move the fabric when you push it with your finger. I think Eric should have used some sort of spray adhesive and really lay down the fabric and mate it to the cushioning material.

I do think that the SPP gauge pod is one step up from the plastic one you'd put there, but it's not perfect and doesn't pass my Martha Stewart level of perfection.

I'm still looking for an alternative.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:01 AM

Default your exaggerating a bit, not a single person who has seen my a pillar has thought it didn't match.

I have even had people ask me how I got a stock turbo gauge built in like that. (i explained it wasn't stock.)
Definately get the gauge if your considering it, it looks and works great....
Old 09-04-2001, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ummmm. I don't think so. It's my opinion, and you can disagree with it. Fine. But..

I consider myself to be a bit of an stickler when it comes to color, and I'd say it's at least it's 3 shades off looking at my trusty Pantone Color Guide.

For those who have this color guide, look at Pantone Black 3C, and then look at Pantone Black 6C. See the difference? It's 3 shades off. So in sunlight, the difference is even greater. The headliner color has a bit of charcoalness to it, and the A pillar cloth material is very dark and has no warmness to it at all. In fact, it is a cold black as opposed to warm black.

And for those technical types:

Pantone 3C has: 62.5% Pantone Black and 37.5% Pantone Green

Pantone 6C has: Pantone Black at 54.0% and Pantone Blue at 46%.

:-P
Old 09-04-2001, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was almost ready to do this mod... but....

then I saw the posts regarding the upcoming mods to incorporate a boost guage into our display. For what it's worth, a boost guage "built in" is far superior.. imo. Anyhow....

Can anyone "in the know" offer any sort of REALISTIC time frame before this will be available ? Is it a given that it will happen ??

Cheers,

Earnie

"Since light travels faster than sound, is that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?"
Old 09-04-2001, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

agree w/Jyoteen on color of A-pillar
Old 09-04-2001, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Refresh rate will be a problem. The info center cannot do a refresh fast enough for accuracy IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got my SPP (a-pillar) turbo gauge installed, it works and looks great, I highly recommend.