S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I just got pulled over by the NYS Police and got a ticket for "Inadequate Muffler"....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just got pulled over by the NYS Police and got a ticket for "Inadequate Muffler"....

I have the ASP True Dual with the big boy tips. I looked up the NYS law and it said any exhaust modified and louder than original exhaust is illegal. Is there anythingI can do? Anyone have experience with this? I just passed inspection two days ago.
Of course it was a rookie with a shaved head and as we were sitting there, an old beat up pick up drove by spewing exhaust fumes and was at least twice as loud as my car. I asked him why he didn't pull that POS over and he said " Because I was writing you a summons, sir" What a DICK................
Old 04-01-2005, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Put stock back on, get the ticket written off, but the ASP back on.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default If it passed state inspection, doesn't that mean your exhaust is in compliance as a matter of law?

Any lawyers care to chime in?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no, the law obviously states otherwise.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you got a real d*ck head cop, we have quite a few S4 in NYC with lound exhaust

never got pull over for exhaust
Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 AM

Default 2nd reefer_bob. put stock back on and show it to the prosecutor (more)...

Here in MN, the standard for a "loud muffler" offense is really vague. In essence, a "loud muffler" is one that does not blend the exhaust sound into the vehicle sound as effectively as the stock muffler.

This means that the cop gets to use his own judgment and you can't really refute it. Subjective standards like that always suck for defendants.

So, if I were you, I'd plea ignorance to the prosecutor and show him/her that you put the stock muffler back on. Don't wait for a court trial. Then it will be too late, and you'll probably lose the case on the officer's testimony.

Good luck.

Dave
Old 04-01-2005, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Find out where he lives, then

put starightpipes on and drive past his house about ten times in first gear at 2 in the morning. What's he gonna do, give you another ticket for the same thing :-) I can't stand pompous, young cops.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In CA, it's typically a fix it ticket... I'm a friggin master at swapping exhausts for signoff.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the law:

"No person shall modify the
muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section."

So take it to court and have him prove that it's LOUDER than stock. It doesn't say you can't modify it, it says it can't be louder. The burden of proof is on the cop I would think.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default State Troopers in any state are rough. Exaust Summons is kinda cheesy, you must of given him...

another reason to check you out and it wasn't good enough for a ticket, so he opted for an easy one from a cop standpoint, the sound summonses. you can give them by what you feel is too loud for the location, time of day, and ofcourse the volume level. you kind of got lucky because he could of written you a criminal summons instead of just a moving violation. swap exausts, mail in the ticket with receipt or go to court. they just want your money anyway. good luck.

Quick Reply: I just got pulled over by the NYS Police and got a ticket for "Inadequate Muffler"....