S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

identify this hose please

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default identify this hose please

so i have a b5s4...i was just installing a new cap for the coolant overflow tank tonight, happened to look down and noticed this hose is not connected to anything..i haven't had this car too long and i've searched all over for pics of the engine bay, just can't find anything that is close enough to see what this connects to..i took a picture with my phone so hopefully you guys can see it..it's in the center of the picture and there is a red o-ring on it...this is located on the driver side of the motor, right next to where all of the brake hoses come into (i'm guessing abs)..any ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like part of your spider hose assembly. The coolant tank has an overflow hose attached to the bottom of it, but it doesn't have a Norma QD connector on it like the one in your pic does.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i've kept searching for pics or anything else i can find and nothing. from what you can see in the picture, the hose travels directly up, the has a 90 degree bend in it and goes into the driver side fender..from there i can't see if it turns towards the front of the car or towards the rear...my spider hose assembly is completely connected and also the overflow tank is as well...
Old 11-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hose location

Maybe you could submit another pic or 2 to give a better location. Just looked at mine and could not match any thing up for you.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

here are two more pics. hopefully you can see the hose location a little better...the screwdriver is pointing to it in both pics...thanks
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a vacuum supply for the leak detection pump. Find the other end and plug it in and clear your CEL.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i've looked all over and haven't found another hose that would connect to it..any idea where it comes from so i could track it down...also, no CEL is on or has been..
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What MY is this? I don't have a similar hose on my 2000. Given the fact that it is secured in place, I would say the other end must be pretty close by. Either that, or the component it goes to was removed. Someone mentioned the leak detection pump...where is that supposed to be? Maybe that has a hose coming from it?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

MY is 2001.5..according to the build date that is. I stand corrected on the CEL being on. The more I'm reading it seems it could be related. I'm getting P1146, which I believe is something to do with the MAF, but if I have a vacuum leak, it could be causing it I guess?...I agree, it's in a fixed position, so I would think the other end should be relatively close, but I just can't find anything....
Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so there is an update,..it looks like this line is for a vacuum reservoir in the driver side fender..I did find the other end, started the car and it pulled vacuum so i connected those two..we'll see...next question please...there is some kind of fitting on the bottom of the coolant overflow tank..that is also disconnected, any ideas on what goes there? I have some diagrams of the cooling system, but nothing shows it..

Quick Reply: identify this hose please