S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Im soo lost... What should I do.. (I MADE UP MY MIND)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im soo lost... What should I do.. (I MADE UP MY MIND)

**UPDATE**

Driving it into the ground over the next 4 years and upgrading to a conservative stage III! Now I need to research out exactly how to do this and the most cost effective way. I've tried to stay away from the k04 discussions before just so I dont get interested.

I cannot figure out what I should do.. Here is my problem. I've owned my b5 for almost a year now and have put 26k on it, putting it to 82K now. At the rate I plan on driving this next 12 months I'll probably put another 30+k on it. I need a reliable daily driver and don't want to take it in the rear with depriciation. I've figured I have three options really..

*Keep the b5, upgrade turbos and give it the most reliable set up I can get, keep it for the next 4 years and just drive it into the ground.

*Trade it in or sell it for another car. My only problem here is I will be doing the same thing I'm doing now in another year, and I wont be happy with any ol pile of junk now after driving this car for a year, so I'll probably lose more than just keeping it.

*Pick up a junker to do all my daily driving in. Only issue here is a junk has crappy A/C. I'm in phoenix where todays temp is going to be 112 degrees. That plus I'll have to pay double insurance costs.

If I go with set up #1 how reliable is it? what is the most reliable K04 set up I can do and how much would that cost assuming $50 hour install?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

def # 3 .. i had a 92 corolla and the ac was awesome
Old 06-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Option D - stop buying cars and thinking about depreciation.

Research your purchase ahead of time and buy something that you will keep until it no longer runs, at which point you won't have had a car payment for a while and can afford a replacement.

Speculating about depreciation with cars is a losing battle. Buy it and keep it. If you constantly flip cars, you're going to lose big in the long run.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying another car to keep miles off your 82,000mile S4 seems like a mistake to me.........

Why not enjoy your S4? It's worth next to nothing as it is - keep it. Maintain it and you'll be a happy camper.

If you factor in taxes, insurance and another car, you'll probably be "spending" the same amount if you just went ahead and drove the S4.

Plus, who the hell wants to drive some crap-mobile everyday, just to enjoy their S4 every now and then. If you're putting on 30,000miles/year, you're obviously driving a lot - might as well be in a car as nice as an S4.

Oh, BTW, I was in the SAME position. Had 87,000miles and wanted more power. Went ahead and did stage III - happy I did it. Screw depreciation, ALL cars are depreciating assets.

I have 123,000miles now and couldn't be happier with the S4. I've thought a few times about selling, just nothing to replace it with for the $$.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

^^^ding^^^
Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 AM

Yep, good advise... Drive that puppy into the ground.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 AM

Default I believe in driving it into the ground. The longer you own it, the more driving enjoyment you ...

get out of it. That's why you bought the S4. Not to have a good investment, but an amazing driving experience.

This is the first car I relate to as an awesome driving experience vs. a depreciating assett.

All cars are depreciating assetts, of you want to save money and be smart about it, the S4 was a bad decisions from the get go. If you love it like I do, drive it into the ground.

)
Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 AM

Keep it, keep cash in the bank, go with plain new OEM k04s when the time comes.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Insurance double? 2 cars, but the same mileage as 1. Get an estimate first.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep it and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Quick Reply: Im soo lost... What should I do.. (I MADE UP MY MIND)