S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Input please >>> looking to buy S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input please >>> looking to buy S4

I'm looking at buying a 2001 S4 locally and just want some input before I pull the trigger. Its an early '01, about 70k miles, no warranty. Original owner, who also happens to be a friend. His wife actually drove the car to and from work, and it stayed in the garage while at home. They've had absolutely no problems with it ever. Its been maintained by a reputable local shop that is experienced with European autos. The car is in very good condition, but it is still running on the original clutch, turbos, and timing belt. Oh, and its Nogaro Blue (yeah!).

I'd do the timing belt really soon if I get it. What about the clutch and turbos? Am I looking at a high risk of having to replace those items soon, knowing that the car has been driven easily and maintained well? I do my own work, but I'm still concerned with time and money needed. What would be a fair price with the current market? I can look up values on nada, kbb, and edmunds just like anybody else, but what are these things really selling for?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Old Audis are expensive to maintain. If I weren't married to my car I'd be bailing right now. I love

my car, but right now I'm facing thousands of dollars in repair and routine maintainence items and aggravation.

GRRRRRR...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yeah, but....

Yeah, I know these things are on the high end for maintenance costs. But this car is more of what I want/need right now than anything else. I had a 91 Porsche Carrera 4 at one time that I sorely miss, in no small part because it was AWD. I now want a trunk and four doors if possible, so the S4 is where I've ended up.

I wouldn't be worried about having to do the clutch and turbos at some point, because I'd just upgrade them. But I'd like to have some time to drive the car before I have to go wrenching on it to that extent.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Get a certified warranty. I regret not getting an extended warranty.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

WoW: Buying a car that is prone to breaking, from a friend, can lead to a bad relationship.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OT: "thousands"? what problems are you facing right now?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default don't listen to the worry warts

sounds like a great opportunity, esp if it was babied.

that said, you will want to set aside some rainyday money for k04s...

and if you do decide to do any modding at all (even light modding) don't bother with the extended warantee; they'll always try to screw you unless the car is 100% bone stock.

i'll leave it to others to suggest prices though, i have no idea what the market in your area is like.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ^^^^^ What he said

I have 83k on a MY 2000 (owned for 3 years) with only one semi-major problem. (Darn ABS controller!!) As with any high-performance vehicle, you've gotta pay to play, it's just a matter of when.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I said problems and maintainence. (more)

Probably busted CV-joint: a few hundred

Timing belt job - ~$1k

Control arms (which I'm treating as maintainence; they're not busted yet, and I'm also doing them along with shocks & springs): ~1k? (not counting shocks & springs, which are purely optional at this point)

A few other odds and ends... quickly adds up
Old 03-31-2005, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd

Quick Reply: Input please >>> looking to buy S4