S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Intercooler Mister problem fixed...Interesting data on IC temps- ->

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intercooler Mister problem fixed...Interesting data on IC temps- ->

After installing an Avalon/AutoSpeed Intelligent Intercooler Mister kit, I was stuck because with all the installation work done properly, the mister didn't mist, and the connections leaked horribly.

The source of the problem was a bad washer fluid pump. It was desimated... cracked, and corroded. Who knows when the last time was that this thing worked properly.

I also changed the check valves to 5 psi crack points. No more leaking and the misters now come on whether called for by the ecu or by the manual override I added.

So I have had nearly a week to gather data on the temps associated with the Intercoolers...and I've found them less intuitive than one might have thought.

Since the temperture here has been all over the thremometer this week I have had a good few days of watching temps. The kit provides temp probe for air flowing into the IC ducts, the temp within the IC cooling fins, and the temp as air exits the IC's. The temp gauge in the multifunction display provides ambient temp and the a dash mounted temp gauge displays the temp behind the IC.

With ambient temps at around 90 degrees earlier this week, the post IC temps were around 112 - 115 during normal highway driving, they rose to about 125 - 130 in stop and go traffic and after delay at a traffic light temps rose as much as another 5 - 10 degrees. The off highway temps were much higher than I antcipated, and the it takes a few minutes of driving to get the temps back down.

All in all, the post IC temps trend towards 20 - 40 degrees over ambient.

The same held true whent he ambient temps dropped to the mid 60's, low 70's...post IC temps were around 98 - 110 onthe highway..

I was also suprised how, when cruising at highway speeds, the temp would rise quickly after a blast up through the rpms.

The misters are set to trip the Temp sensor at 25 degrees over ambient. The misters will come on if the temp sensor is tripped and then the injector duty cycle sensor is tripped...

I have a bunch of logs...but will replace them with back to back before and after logs now that the misters are working properly...

Any suggestions on the data logging is appreciated..
Old 06-17-2005, 08:03 PM

IAT log with them off in 3rd wot and on in 3rd wot, thats what i did
Old 06-17-2005, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good job finally getting it to work. I'm real interested in your results...

sounds like a great set-up. Is it basically all the same stuff from the tech article or is it an actual kit you bought?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Good job finally getting it to work. I'm real interested in your results...

Avalon was able to put together a complete kit with all the items listed in the tech article and then some..

I real complete kit. Zev has a vew of these kits coming in.

I added the manual override switch...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you can, log IAT for like a 40-120mph (2,3,4 gears) run with them off and then on. That would

give some great info into how much it helps this heatsoaking *** car. What ICs do you have on your car? Sorry if you've mentioned it before.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. A pair of 4th gear runs from 2000-6000ish would be nice too...

Thats a nice long run with no recovery in the IC's between shifts to heat 'em up really well.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

4th @ 6000ish? Isn't that close to 110 mph? We don't want to get him arrested.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stock IC's with misc mods...

<a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audiworld/registry/details.asp?car=8471">Click here</a>
Old 06-18-2005, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Log IAT, Speed, Boost, RPM, Outside Temp, Temperature of your (m)

washer fluid, and temperature reading on the back of the IC. Get somebody to help you with the ones that you have to do manually. If you can, record how long the Pump Activated light is on for. At what portion of the IC does your sprayer point?

I've been thinking about testing my IC sprayers for a while, just haven't got around to doing it. There are a lot of variables to try and control if you want to get valid results.

IMO the benefit of the IC misters is getting the IC temp down faster than otherwise would happen. Over a ten second pull I doubt the IC surface temp will rise much. At least when I dyno'd my car the beginning IC temp and ending IC temp after the pull was the same, as measured on the back of the IC. It was after the pull that the IC temp started to rise.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

~10 MPH over a FATS run. i'm sure he'll be fine (relatively)

Quick Reply: Intercooler Mister problem fixed...Interesting data on IC temps- ->