S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Issues after coilpack conversion.. again..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after coilpack conversion.. again..

Okay, so yes I did a search, but I am still confused a little. Sorry.

Okay, same as most others, I was getting constant misfires from multiple cylinders and was just chasing it all over. Plugs, coils, ICM, etc.. Would kinda help, but not really. Car was running like crap. So, I decided to make the plunge and go for the coil conversion. Decided on the ECS because I liked the plate design. Installed and all worked great. Misfires are all but gone. Car runs great. But, I still have a check engine light now. Open Circuit error codes on 1/4/5 cylinders.

Did a search and the consensus is most likely a bad ground. I would like to test this by grounding cylinder 5 which is the one that has always been an issue. But from reading all the posts, I was hoping for a clear picture of what to cut and which side to ground. I am more of a visual person, I can read something till I am cross eyed, but once I see it, comprehension is much easiers.

So, I read all the threads, and I saw all the times that was told ground Pin4 to the engine or the ground behind the coolant tank. got that.

so..

"[Coil5] --(A)---ECS HARNESS-----(B)----[ ] [ ] ----(C)---OEM Harness------(D)-----[ ]"

Okay, so do I cut the ECS harness or the OEM harness? Once I cut, do I ground both ends or only 1? I am going to assume maybe I will be cutting the ECS Pin4 cable grounding Pin4(A) on the ECS side to the engine/ground point? Leave Pin2 untouched on the ECS to connect to the OEM.

I hope that makes sense... and I drew a great 3D lifelike picture....