S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Its settled, my car is totaled. How do I negotiate with my insurance company for pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its settled, my car is totaled. How do I negotiate with my insurance company for pricing?

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with the insurance company when it comes to negotiating for the price of your vehicle? Because I have none. What I want is for them to pay off my load + money as a down payment for a new car, OR give me a new S4.

Any help will be helpful.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:21 PM
Elder Member

Lots of vaseline
Old 09-04-2001, 04:45 PM

Good luck, it might help that new S4s are relatively cheap.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:53 PM

Default This might help you... -LONG-

I used to work for GEICO insurance in auto claims, so here's my two cents...

Remember that it is the insurance company's duty to INDEMNIFY you for the loss of your car. What that means, roughly, is that they are on the hook to pay you for the market value of your loss, NOT the retail value through a dealership. That can be interpreted many ways, but here is how the insurance company will determine market value:

They will search your area for used S4's similiar to yours, average the cost, and present you with an offer. The first offer NEVER seems to be enough, (trust me, I've been on both sides of this game), but remember that it is only their first offer.

The next steps determine how much you really end up getting for your total loss: 1) BE NICE to the claims examiner. Believe it or not, this makes a difference. 2) BE PREPARED to discuss the specific options you had. Better yet, fax over a copy of the window sticker, and photos of your car. 3) DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and provide the claims examiner your own list of comparable S4's along with prices in your area. If the examiner offers you $29,000, could you go out tomorrow and buy a used 2001 S4 with the same options, color, and mileage for that? Probably not. Use that to your advantage as you negotiate.

As for your aftermarket exhaust: You're probably not going to see any extra $$ for it. That is from my experience only, and your policy may specifically cover aftermarket items, but that would be the exception to the rule. It sucks, but it's a chance we all take adding the go fast stuff.

One you have agreed upon a negotiated dollar amount, the insurer should give you the option to buy your wrecked S4 for whatever price they could get from the junkyard. Most people just sign it over though, to be done with it. The insurer then makes sure your leinholder is paid off, and any extra money will then go to you. That's assuming of course you're not upside down on your loan.

I hope this helps out. I can't stress enough how important it is to at least SOUND friendly on the phone... grit your teeth, do whatever you gotta do, but a happy insurance adjuster is ten times more likely to offer you more cash if you aren't screaming at him at the top of your lungs. I learned this the hard way on my own total loss. You catch more bees with honey, blah, blah, blah... ; )

Hope this helps you out, and Good Luck, man.

Happy to be out of that business,

-Scott in SD
2000 Silver S4
18" Ace Lolas
Stock, baby
Old 09-04-2001, 06:02 PM

What if the car is a lease?
Old 09-04-2001, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you have a lease...

just compare the number that the ins. co. gives you to your lease payoff. If the car is worth more than the payoff, the money is yours. If it's worth the same or less as your payoff, you will get nothing. At least you can't lose out because you have gap insurance and your payoff will always be made. Hopefully you will end up with some cash towards your next car.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I came out 5K in the "black" on my leased 1998.5 A4 1.8T...nice down payment on my S4 :-) lucky
Old 09-04-2001, 07:40 PM

Default Yup. Well said Kevin B

Gap insurance will cover you and guarantee that your lein will be paid off if you owe more than the car is worth.

Good Luck