S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I've got a set of K04's... should I have them reworked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I've got a set of K04's... should I have them reworked?

I've had my AWE stage 3 kit sitting in the basement for a while waiting for the stock ones to blow before I did anything. However my clutch is on the way out, and I will probably install the stage 3 stuff once the clutch goes for good.

Questions is, should I get my "stock" K04 turbos reworked into a hybrid? Seems like K04/16 is the turbo of choice nowadays. Who can do it and how much will it cost?

TIA.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do a search for Jacob , hes the K16 dude ;p

I would just get the Ko4s ported
Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Jacob's email address: imolavirus at buehnengineering

how does that work, you just buy a turbo kit and send out the turbos, or do you neeed other parts changed to fit the K16 turbos?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you've got everything to fit K04's then you don't need anything extra to fit the K04/16's.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Will his software be OK as is with K04/16s?
Old 02-06-2005, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, i'd advise some tweaking either by himself or someone else to take full advantage of

the turbos though.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's what I'm looking for

I've been running XR with my K03's for a while now and what I'm after is the same low/mid-range power that doesn't taper off at the high end. I'm holding a constant 19 psi up to about 4500 RPM and then it tapers down to about 12-13 psi at redline. The dyno says I'm in the neighborhood of 470-480 ft-lbs in the meat of my midrange at about 3000 RPM, and I don't want to lose that upgrading to stage 3.

I've got the complete AWE stage 3 kit ready to go with the ceramic coated headers, AWE lightweight flywheel (swapped my defective one), and a Spec Stg 2 clutch I'm terrified to install--I'll likely go with something else, RS4 clutch maybe?

What can I expect with straight K04's vs hybrids? Supposedly the headers are supposed to help reduce the lag of the larger turbos. I'm worried that I'm going to be disappointed with the low-end, but perhaps that's simply the price I have to pay for more top end?

TIA.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't, but you haven't mentioned how you intend to use (m)

the car. I think you could be paying a lot for performance overkill. I don't see mention of upgraded IC', Bipipe, or hoses in your sig. I think you'd be better off directing money to those areas. As VonK mentioned, how your software works with the modified turbos will be another question. Are you expecting AWE to support their kit after you go and modify it?

I bring these points up because I'm looking at installing the APR Stage III kit and considered the hybrids. I decided against that route because the car is going to be silly fast already, and I can't see spending a lot of extra money to put turbos on the car that kit supplier won't stand behind. Like I said, if you put those customized turbos on the car, do you expect AWE to spend their time helping you to get the car to run properly if there are problems?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess it boils down to software

Unfortunately all the "tweaker tuners" are in the northeast and west coast, and yes, I'd pretty much be left do figure that out on my own. I'm not against using an MBC or other extra components, but I would need some direction on how to proceed.

I've already got a bi-pipe, and will get the AWE intercoolers when I'm ready to go. No sense taking everything apart multiple times.

And you say "performance overkill"? LOL... and when is too much power overkill? The S4 is not my daily driver, and I've already thrown gobs of money at it, so I'd like to maximize its potential. I like to do track days and the occassional visit to the drag strip to embarass the Camaros and Mustangs.

I'll mull it over a bit longer and see what others have to say. One option would be to install the K04's as is and upgrade later once all the software and hardware details have been sorted out. It's inevitable that eventually someone will come up with a combination that works that doesn't require a lot of custom stuff.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Consider also, if you're going to be pretty much your own mechanic, --->

---> you best plan on a configuration that doesn't require constant tweaking, unless you like that sort of thing and have the requisite tool/equipment/skills/knowledge.

Quick Reply: I've got a set of K04's... should I have them reworked?