S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just got a first hand experience what a massive boost leak feels like (story inside...Long)

Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a first hand experience what a massive boost leak feels like (story inside...Long)

Well, today I decided to go with my cousin on a cruise which was held by a bunch of BMW guys. We travelled 200+ miles on this cruise before getting at our destination. When all of a sudden my rpms flatlined!!! I sh*t a brick. Had no idea what had happened. Pull the car over on the interstate and started looking for the proble. At first I thought it was my TBB or something with the throttle body because a while back I broke the clip that locks the harness to the Throttle body and thought it had come loose. Now I started to panic! Started to think it was something major and mechanical like the tranny/clutch or the turbo. But luckily a bunch of those bimmer guys calmed me down and suggested to look at the other hoses (my dumb *** forgot we have like 8 other hoses where there could have been a problem). Checked the passenger side intercooler hoses first. Checked out fine. Then I checked the driver side and it was COMPLETELY OFF. I had found the problem. Put it back on with the screwdriver I had brought and thought I was good to go. But then it happened ppppfffffttttttssewww...AGAIN. This time I noticed that the the inside of the hose had a small film of oil and was making the pipe slip off...So I wipped it with a rag and screwwed the clamp back on. Then about 5 miles down the road I noticed the clamp was not holding up right so I had gone to an auto store and picked up some clamps and some other stuff like mor rags, Gojo, and a cheap tool kit just in case on the way home (which I will be returning cause didnt need it). Turned out the clamp was shot and was able to make it home safe without it popping again.

Out of all this I had learned a few things... Bring extra clamps, rags, problematic hoses, small tool kit, cleaning wipes and to know exactlly where you are going. I did not realize I was putting almost 500+ miles on my car today on a cruise. But I will say this...the guys that I was with from the BMW crowd were a world of help...cool down to earth guys. Felt kinda special that they were there for me. Standing in the middle of the interstate to make sure I was gonna be able to at least reach a safe destination and Let me use their tools to make it easier to change that stupid clamp!!!!

Rant Over