S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just wanted to mention, the PureMS timing belt kit is one of the best I've ever seen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just wanted to mention, the PureMS timing belt kit is one of the best I've ever seen.

Despite coming in "aftermarket" boxes, almost every single component had audi rings on it and looked to be exactly like, or better than the OEM components we removed from the car. New bolts were provided for everything except the three 10mm bolts that hold on the tensioner (which ended up looking exceptionally new when we removed them).

The thermostat was a Behr unit (no flimsy wahlers), and the waterpump was a Gepu unit (no rough castings, metal flakes or anything) which had a nicely machined mating surface and a paper gasket that was not bent, creased or broken . . . not to mention all the boxes were in new condition with no punctures or damage.

Only other non-audi stamped parts were the Contitech timing and serp belts, both packaged nicely and with no defects.

Overall with the price + quality, the PureMS kit is extremely hard to beat when compared to kits that I've used from ECS and Blauparts.

Thanks again Mike for providing quality product at a competitive price, and thanks to all the people who responded yesterday in my "Help" post.

Dave
Old 03-12-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just don't understand why one would not use all OEM parts? (more)

For a service that cost $900-$1300 depending, why cut corners to save a few bucks on often sub-quality non-OEM parts? I was planning on doing one of these kits until a rash of water pump failures occurred from the ECS kit. I will stick to the OE stuff, but good review nonetheless.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well in most cases the products made by aftermarket companies is better quality and cheaper than OEM
Old 03-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned

-better quality- not in my experience.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:20 AM

agreed, just got aftermarket housing for the back of the block. It cracked in my hands during instal
Old 03-12-2006, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default As I said, in most cases. Depends what the product is and who the manufacturer is. There are many.

companies out there that produce garbage but there are just as many that produce top notch products. You just have to do your research and know what you are getting.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well given that the parts had the audi logos on it, they must be the ones that supply audi

for the actual parts.

As for the waterpump, I think aftermarket is better than the OE, since the OE waterpump uses a plastic impeller.

No comment on the Behr thermostat except that it looked EXACTLY like the OE, not like the wahler that I used before.

Contitech belts seem to be excellent and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the actual supplier to Audi/VW. The old belt was so glazed over (serp) that I couldn't really make out any of the lettering on it.

All in all, I agree with you about using cheaper aftermarket parts (like some of the parts in ECS's kit), but in this case, I believe that this is the actual Audi part, with just that manufacturer's packaging.

Dave
Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Should also mention . . .

The timing belt parts (rollers, belts, bolts, tensioner) all came in a Contitech / CRP box. CRP is the distributor of Contitech products in NA. From what I've read, Contitech is a division of or paired with ATE. Both are known suppliers to Audi. The tensioner in the kit had the Audi logo cast into the housing.

The tensioner lever also had the Audi logo cast into it. It was manufactured by Ruville or Revelle (my memory escapes me).

Dave
Old 03-12-2006, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Just used one myself. Very high quality kit made for a very successful install
Old 03-12-2006, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PureMS parts are OEM parts, more or less. No difference in quality, just less expensive

Quick Reply: Just wanted to mention, the PureMS timing belt kit is one of the best I've ever seen.