S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Lemon Car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon Car!

Tomorrow will be 30 days! that my S4 has been at the dealer getting the grinding 6-speed transmission fixed. I have spoken with AofA and informed them that they will have to give me a new car if it isn't ready by tomorrow.

Anyone else have the similar problems? Anyone have to invoke the Lemon Law? Any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2000, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think it falls within the boudries of the Lemon Law.

They had my car for longer than that, all I got was an IOU for the month's note.

I do not think they will give you a new car, although I didn't scream very loud.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:56 PM

Default They will not give you a new car, sorry but you have to file a complaint!

You just can't start making threats like that. My S2000 was in the shop for 2 months for tranny work. Tranny work is a pain because there are so many parts and parts have to be ordered and such. Just have patience, do you have an Audi loaner car?
Old 10-11-2000, 02:00 PM

Default Yes, but the dealer already admitted they would, and...

A friend of mine is the service manager at a Volvo dealership and she confirmed that 30 days or three trips for the same problem will activate California's lemon law. They are required to give me a new car.
Old 10-11-2000, 02:02 PM

Default Here's how it goes:

Once your car exceeds the limits of your states
lemon laws you bring that to AoA's attention
and try to work with them on getting a new car.
If they flat out deny you or seem uncooperative you can do to your state's attorney for help.
I bought a car from NJ, it had tons of problems, was in the shop more than 40 days (30 is the limit there), and 1 1/2 yrs after I bought my car for $27,500 I got back $26,800 (they charged me for wear and tear . If your car exceeds any of the requirements in your lemon law you have the right to fight for a new vehicle. There is no
"oh, sorry, but we can't do that", if they have a parts supply problem, that is THEIR PROBLEM, it shouldn't be yours. That's the facts, straight from someone who's done it (and it took me nearly 6 months to get them to take the car back).
Old 10-11-2000, 02:03 PM

BTW- My loaner is a VW New Beetle. Oh so hot! Ha!
Old 10-11-2000, 02:14 PM

Default Thanks.... but I'm still disappointed, and...

Audi of Am. is involved and say they will have it back tomorrow. The sad thing is that according to the dealer, the car's transmission was repaired and reassembled ten days ago and they still haven't been able to get it back into the car. They have no explanation other than they have been really busy and weren't aware of some extra clutch parts they needed to order!
Old 10-11-2000, 02:30 PM

Default Doesn't matter...

That's THEIR PROBLEM. Stick with it.
Old 10-11-2000, 04:05 PM

Took them about a month to fix my grind-into-2nd under high rev probelm, but its great now
Old 10-11-2000, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 40 days for me and I have a new '01 in the garage...

Audi is allowed to charge you a fee for use and wear/tear for the time that you had the car. I was able to work with the dealer and AoA without involving the state. I did tell them, however, that unless they cooperated, I would involve the state attorney general. My deal was essentially handled like a new car purchase and trade. Audi gave the dealer an "allowance" on my old car and it was traded for a new one. I paid the difference which was about equal to the formula involved with the state. Very fair... Audi really doesn't want to go lemon law because the car will have to have that on the title for any resale. Better to just handle it.

check the info for your state specifically on time limits and how wear/tear is calculated. My state was 30 days in the shop counts as lemon. This has no bearing on parts delay, shop delays etc. 30 days is 30 days.

I was very happy with the outcome with AoA and my dealer. I would hope that your dealer does the same for you.

Quick Reply: Lemon Car!