S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

little vibration when flooring it. any ideas..details inside.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little vibration when flooring it. any ideas..details inside.

Hey, i had posted a question in regards to this before but i lost track of the thread, so im sorry if its a repost..
I have a little vibration when i floor the car in first and second. Feels like its coming from the rearend.
The vibration occurs If i floor the car..from like 2000 to 3000 rpms. The only thing i can relate the feeling to...is when your engaging a really harsh clutch and it rumbles/chatters the car. Thats almost what it feels like, except its very subtle(not quite as noticable as the clutch scenrio). I have two thoughts on what it possibly can be...because only two things have changed since it started happening (very recently.)
The tires that are on the rear right now were on the front for a couple thousand miles being warn unevenly because the front needed the alignment. The reason i know the front needed an alignment was because the tires on rear were originally on front for the life of the tire..and was totally worn on the inside but not on the outside. The previous owner swapped them to reduce road noise.
When i bought the car...the tires on the rear were completely shot...and there were 2 tires on the front with like 70% thread left.
I put the two 70% unevenely worn tires on rear and bought 2 new tires for the front and got a 4 wheel alignment.

I have a feeling its the tires possibly causing the vibration.

The other possibility is i just had my major servicing done. Timing belt, waterpump, tensioners etc.
I also had all the fluids changed..The gearbox front diff and rear diff.
The fluid i used was the audi gearoil all around. I cant remember exactly what weight it is..but its the original audi gearoil.
I was thinking maybe it wasnt a heavy enough weight and that could possibly be causing it as well.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.. Sorry for the long-winded post..just trying to get in all the details to help diagnose the problem.
Thanks in advance for any help
John
Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default check the glove box

hooker left you a battery powered present :P
Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default man, so many possibilities with all those variables...

running two different sized tires on the front/rear could be your problem. using two different rolling diameters on a quattro car could mess up the drivetrain.

or it could be some problem with that fluid change you got...

i dont know man...
Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: man, so many possibilities with all those variables...

tire sizes and everything are exactly the same. Only difference is one set of tires is newer than the others. I guess tomorrow im going to try rotating the tires and see if the noise changes..maybe it will be in the front now? or maybe it will be difference. If it changes when i change the tires then i know its definatley the tires and ill just buy two more brand new ones.
The only reason i didnt was because they have like 60 or 70% thread left. Figured i could have gotten through winter with them but i have no problem buying an other set if need be.
Does anyone else use that oem audi gear oil fluid? I didnt think to check on the forum on waht to use i just figured that would be best.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if one tire is 70% and the other is 100%, theyre not the same rolling diameter.

however, a difference that small should not effect you like that, especially not that quickly.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: if one tire is 70% and the other is 100%, theyre not the same rolling diameter.

Oh i get what your saying. When i say unevenly worn..i meant because the car needed an alignment and the tires got worn more on the inside then on the outside.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:45 AM

figured it out. was the rear tires. thanks