S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

looking for advice on slow throttle response (more & long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for advice on slow throttle response (more & long)

Hi,

So, I've had my S4 for all of a week, and would like to ask the more experienced owners a few questions about the throttle response of the S4 (and turbo cars in general I guess)

TIP owners need not concern themselves with this issue... ;-)

I'm finding it quite challenging to do rev matching, and clean downshifting because of the really slow throttle response. Let me explain:

You want to downshift, so you blip the throttle to up the revs so when you complete the shift there is little to no difference in the engine and transmission speeds... Smooth shift, and your car suspension stays rock solid, and all you notice is the engine running faster and you smile.

However, with the S4, I do a little blip, nothing happens, so I blip more, and then *boom*, I've got an extra 1500 rpm in the blink of an eye. Way too much for a smooth shift... With my older cars (mostly NA Honda's) I was able to blip the throttle very easily, and it responded to minute changes in foot pressure...

So:

- is this just an experience thing? Will it get better with practice?

- is the sluggish throttle response due to this being a turbo engine? Maybe because it's new?

- can anything be done to improve throttle response? exhaust, bypass valve, air intake?

- Did others have this concern when they moved over to this car? How about those of you who have NA (naturally aspirated) cars, do you find rev matching more of a challenge in the S4?

thanks in advance.
Regards,
Francis
Old 08-31-2000, 01:49 PM

Default I think you have to keep in mind that the turbos only start to spool at 1800 rpm

If you're coasting in 4th under 1800 & want to drop to 2nd, you could get more of a boost than you expected. That being said, I think my throttle response is pretty quick...I had an A4 2.8Q/5spd before, & the S4 (still unchipped) is WAAAAY better.

If you really do have slow throttle response, you should have your dealer check for a loose hose or clamp..its not too likely thatyou could have ruptured your TBB this early.
Old 08-31-2000, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default YES, I'm *NOT* the only one this bugs!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that it's not a turbo thing - because my last Turbo car did nice double-clutches. I truly think its a Drive-By-Wire thing - the ECU sees no load and doesn't really open the throttle for a moment or two.

The key for me seems to be holding my foot in it for an extra hesitation vs the traditional throttle blip. 6 months later, I'm still not happy but I'm adapting. I really want instant throttle response even under no-load

See my previous posting for more info...<p>Richard
'00 A6 2.7TQM
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/s4/msgs/79312.phtml">Last time I posted about this phenomenon</a></li></ul>
Old 08-31-2000, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive by wire cars, have this delay. The throttle plate is controlled by an electic motor.

a performance chip will minimize this lag by advancing the timing a bit. But you can't get all the delay out. It is the nature of the beast.
Old 08-31-2000, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, yeah I almost blew my accord's engine when I drove it last time....

I was so used to the delay on teh S4 that I did the same thing on the accord and was bouncing off the rev limiter before I knew it ;-)

I was told by a tuner (Garrett) that the throttle delay can be reduced by farking with the setting on the ECU... dunno to what extent tho - but I would assume you could get pretty close...

-Taner
Old 08-31-2000, 03:05 PM

Default Ya get used to it. Just requires more throttle. I quickly stab mine with success.

<p>donp - '00 S4 Silver/Silver
<a href="http://audizone.com">http://audizone.com</a>
Old 08-31-2000, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My GIAC chip minimized this problem . It still isn't instant, like a throttle cable.

But it has much less delay/lag!
Old 08-31-2000, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This pissed me off in the beginning too. 3 weeks later and my shifts are...

SOOOOOO much smoother. It's still not as "transparent" as in the Camaro, but its getting up there. When I chip it should get even better.
Old 08-31-2000, 05:18 PM

Default I found it gets better with the short shifter!

I had this same problem. I had given up on rev matching. Then this past weekend I installed the UUC short shifter at 40% (I am a novice and took me about 4 hours). Now, all of sudden, rev matching is much easier. I don't know exactly why. Perhaps the shorter thows allow the turbos to remain in boost between shifts. All I know is that it is better. I do not race, but I do enjoy spirited driving and heel and toe downshifting (which I still cannot do effectively in this car) and this may not make much technical sense, but the shorter thows sure seem to make a difference.<p>Laser 2000
Stock
Old 08-31-2000, 10:13 PM

Default So, the solution is a chip. Why am I not surprised... :-) (m)

world hunger, genital warts, halitosis, slow throttle response.

What problem won't an ECU chip for the S4 solve?

seriously though, thanks for all the input... I'll practice more, and plan on chipping in a few K...

regards,
Francis