S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking to buy my first S4, 64k on the clock

Old 01-01-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first S4, 64k on the clock

I'm wondering what you guys experience with these in this mileage range. The only reason I am considering this one (even though the local VW dealers have non-certified cars with 15k less miles for the same price) is because of how well it's taken care of. The guy is an Audi enthusiast, is selling his 2001.5 to help pay for the 2004 S4 that he already in his garage.

This car is silver/black, it has had Navigation Plus installed aftermarket. 6 speed transmission, and I can't find a single thing wrong with this car. The car has documentation of everything ever done back to 12,000 miles, with all receipts.

Is his asking price of $20,500 too much? It seems like a lot for a car with 65k.

Realistically, how long will this thing run? I know about all the issues these can have. (I've been lurking on these forums for years, S4 has always been my dream car) I'm wondering specifically about the longevity of the transmission (I know they can get expensive) and the engine itself (not the turbos).
Old 01-01-2005, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think it sounds like a good deal, but get a Pre purchase inspection and either a warranty or some

cash in the savings account if money would be an issue in the event of a major problem.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Ah, forgot to mention that. Checked with the local dealer, they will offer me a 3 year 36,000 mile

powertrain warranty for $2,075. I am 100% sure I'm going to buy an aftermarket warranty. How much would a pre-purchase inspection cost at my local dealer?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:56 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I wouldn't do the inspection at the dealer...

unless you know them personally, there's no telling how lazy they will be when they look the car over. Too many cars get certified, and then their owners end up here asking why this or that wasn't caught in the certification process. Even things as simple as low brake pad life slipped through. If you know a good independent mechanic near you that specializes in German cars, or Audi's specifically, talk to them and see if they'll do a PPI for you. If it's a reputable shop, they'll see this as an opportunity to gain a customer, and they'll be thorough. Of course, if they are less than reputable, it could go the other way as well.

The price of the car is VERY reasonable imho. The only major expense you will probably have coming is a timing belt and water pump service ($900-1200). Look through the receipts and see if he did it already. Also look over the brakes so see how much pad life is left (you can peek through the spokes). Pads and rotors all around will get pretty expensive ($800 at an independent mech, and over $1K at a dealer). My guess is the owner priced the car to take this stuff into account. I would expect this car to run $23,500 or so.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default transmissions are good, abused synchros are the problem

Powershifting to second gear often will wear the synchros out and you'll get grinding going into gear. The strong tranny mechanicals and drivetrain are the main reasons I bought my S4.

That car sounds pretty good. I bought mine in March for $22k, with 47k miles on it, stock (no NAV). For reference, my local dealer has a certified pre-owned silver '01 that looks just like mine for $25k. It has 43k on it.<ul><li><a href="http://audi.checkeredflag.com/index.cfm?action=InventorySearch&amp;subaction=Sea rchDetail&amp;Vehicle=L25503A&amp;vehicleid=412782 &amp;ListBack=1&amp;VehicleOwnerFranchiseID=1110"> silver '01 s4</a></li></ul>
Old 01-01-2005, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree, use a good independent mechanic if you can
Old 01-01-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: transmissions are good, abused synchros are the problem

By 'powershifting' 2nd, do you mean a shift to second with no clutch? Or a rev-matching upshift to second gear to decelerate from a high speed?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh, using clutch but yanking it into 2nd very fast,

like when you're racing someone. My father calls it powershifting in his old mopars when he shifted without the clutch. I guess those old cars had straight dog gears.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm actually at the same point...

2001.5 74K miles, looking to sell for around the $20.5K range to feed my need for the '04. However, mine is a Tip, so I know that lowers the desirability of it. But the car's in GREAT shape, AND I just did the timing belt 1500 miles ago, APR with Anti-Theft, and iPod through CD-Changer thing installed.

So, I would say that's a good price since that's what I'd like to see.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Quick bump for any last thoughts...

Update: Still contemplating this car and whether or not its going to run for a good 5 years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first S4, 64k on the clock