S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

MBC gurus: How could one get a "Charge Press Max Exceeded" without adding more boost...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MBC gurus: How could one get a "Charge Press Max Exceeded" without adding more boost...

I've added an MBC in parallel with my N75. It's done a great job of removing overshoots/oscillations of turbo boost. [So now I have less boost than I did before adding it.] However, every so often since installing, I've gone into limp mode with a "Charge Pressure Maximum Limit Exceeded" DTC (and only that one). The moment it goes into limp mode is when I am in partial boost, never WOT.

This leads me to think that it is not only a static peak value (ie ~1.55bar) that causes this DTC (because I am no where near that), but also maximums at various loads? Maybe the MBC is causing boost to rise quicker at onset and thus is more than expected, though still only <12psi or whatever?

Does anyone know if there are other triggers to get that DTC without actually hitting some high value?

I almost wonder if the bleed hole on the MBC is causing an extra amount of lost air that the MAF had measured and thus calculates the boost higher than the MAP sensor reads??? I don't know - just trying to thing of other reasons how this could occur???

Furthermore, I have a buddy that doesn't post here. He's added K04s and put a diode across his MAP sensor to limit the boost that the MAP sees. We VAG'd and sure enough the most it ever sees is 2030 mBar. However, he's also gone into limp mode with the same DTC (and also a MAF one as I recall).

Thoughts??
Old 05-03-2004, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think you're on the right track...

I would suggest the MAP clamp for you. My first guess would be that you are building boost quicker than the ECU expects. That's something that's cheap, easy to install, and easy to remove if it doesn't work. It should also improve your timing.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 AM

Correct, it's in the deviation req vs. act.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's what i think IMHO. The difference between req vs. act.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had this problem - would get throttle cut not because of a high value but....

probably because of a difference in "actual" vs. "requested" secondary to faster onset of boost...

I put in a TCD (the MAP clamp) and have no more problems.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The MAP clamp isn't going to help at less than high boost, as I understand it...

the MAP clamp will do just that, "clamp" the value once it reaches a high value. It's not going to have any effect at lower boost where I suspect my problem is occuring.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default yeah, that makes sense for throttle cut due to the req vs act diff in your case

I've seen that happen as people *replace* their N75 with an MBC and thus the difference causes throttle cut.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps. I was getting throttle cut though at even partial throttle (1/3) and the MAP clamp

smoothed things out. In the higher gears, I could get high boost levels at lower throttle positions.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Me as well.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 AM

APR S3 is too conservative for any of that, plain and simple.

Quick Reply: MBC gurus: How could one get a "Charge Press Max Exceeded" without adding more boost...