S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Metalized tint is better than dyed tint. Read and understand..

Old 01-20-2000, 01:10 PM
Silver S4

Default Metalized tint is better than dyed tint. Read and understand..

Metalized tint looks more natural, at least the Llumar products do. They tend to look more like the glass was dyed rather than filmed over. The bits of metal don't create a mirrored reflection at all and the fact is, metal tints are darker than the dyed tints because they reflect the light rather than absorb the light. I think most of you are thinking of titanium tint which is a mirrored back tint. That is illegal in most states. Metalized tint does not do that.

Let's remember what tint is supposed to do. Yeah it makes the car look good but to what extent. Limo tint is pointless, it's dangerous and it makes the car look "pimped" out for lack of a better word. Tint is designed to block UVA/B light and reduce heat and glare, that is it's function. The darkness does not do that. 80% metalized tint is just as affective as 5% metalized tint. Dyed tint will do the same but not as well and not for as long. You already spent 40K on this car why would you stick something cheap on it.

The radar detector issues are not significant enough to warrant the argument. Your V1 is still good enough to pick up radar before they pick you up and remember unless your tinting your windshield your radar detctors field of view is unhibited for over 75% of cop sightings, meaning most cops are sitting at you for oncoming traffic rather than coming up behind you.
Old 01-20-2000, 01:22 PM
Silver S4

Default The V1 part I apologize for. I just read on their website that the antenna..

for the V1 has to have an unobstructed view through the back of the car and metalized tints will hinder this significantly. I guess the compromise for V1 owners is to use dyed tints. The other thing to do is not speed.
Old 01-20-2000, 01:57 PM
lionsfan54

Metalized tint also doesn't turn purple over time
Old 01-20-2000, 02:03 PM
Jim De Arras

I'd be worried about the effect on the radio antenna in the rear window.
Old 01-20-2000, 02:47 PM
Anonymous Speeder

"not speed"... Is that possible in the S4?
Old 01-20-2000, 04:07 PM
Warren Wang

The "fully" metallized films will reduce AM, FM only a little. Never noticed a drop in V1 range.
Old 01-20-2000, 04:09 PM
microfilter

Default Re: I'd be worried about the effect on the radio antenna in the rear window.

I have a V1, and I do have metalized tint.

Granted, I don't have any experience with a V1
in a car without tint, but I find it pretty sensitive
from the rear. Almost, too sensitive at times.

So for those of you out there, I wouldn't worry too much
about having a V1 and metalized tint, I don't think it'll jeopardize
your chances of getting a ticket that much.

Just my .02.........
Old 01-20-2000, 04:44 PM
Yes or No?

Since the Radio signals are coming from outside the car they would reach the antenna before the tint
Old 01-20-2000, 04:50 PM
LCP

Default The metallic tint (Formula1) on my old A4 caused AM reception to all but disappear

I haven't tinted the S4 yet though.
Old 01-20-2000, 04:57 PM
mm

Rationalize it all you want, but I believe Mike Valentine would disagree with you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metalized tint is better than dyed tint. Read and understand..