S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Mihnea, mjtaylor, and any others guys with RS4 con-rod / piston knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mihnea, mjtaylor, and any others guys with RS4 con-rod / piston knowledge

Sorry to be spammin the boards the last few days but STFA'in just hasn't been finding me any answers on my last batch of Q's like it usually does.

From what I have seen from Mihnea and mjtaylor, you can "possibly" use RS4 rods with S4 pistons if you balance the crank. If you go with RS4 rods and RS4 pistons, do you still have to worry about the S4 crank? Or is this an "of course you do if you have already done all this other ****"

Anyone have some hands on experience switching to RS4 rods, what is your setup?

Man, when I bought my pancake pipes, RS4 y-pipe, intake mani, TB, fuel pump and accompanying hardware 4 months ago I thought that would be it. Then I found a good price on RS4 cams, so 2.8 heads are now in the mail to get worked on in the near future. It just keeps rollin like an out of control freight train. Make it stop please. Tell me getting into messing with the rods, pistons, crank etc. is just going too far with diminishing performance to cost if all I'm after is a truly well sorted daily driver with 2 or less track events a year.

These cars are so much damn fun!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM

yes it's dimishing returns, but it's free entertainment & info for me, so please proceed! ;-)
Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default tj: Ian you have any expierience with transmissions?.........

I am putting my new tranny in this week if you have some time this weekend I can provide hookers, cocaine and whiskey for the extra hand.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor

Default FYI: 100% stock S4 motor with PJ K04s and exhaust/intake/fueling is 99% as fast, or dare I sayFASTER

than the cars with all that mumbo jumbo on it.

Seriously, why?

I never understood it, I would either go all out (built motor w/ GT28RS) or just PJ K04 it and drive it.

Less hassle, good power.

No offense btw, happy motoring.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If your bored and looking for knowledge I am pokin E.Fletcher to get involved in airbox talk here.

This is not comparison to X1 or darintake like the rest but a discussion about why the RS4 airbox extra port doesn't open up until 50 km/h. Somewhat interesting IMO.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2614000.phtml">RS4 airbox discussion</a></li></ul>
Old 03-27-2007, 09:37 PM

Default LOL, I like the offer but I'll be in Joliet this weekend for a track event

In any case, I'm really busy for the next month &amp; a half before I head out of the country for the summer. Good luck w/ the swap, though!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Probably because you need to consider the whole system & have proper tuning

Just slapping on some RS4 parts isn't going to make the car faster. You need to know what the problems are you're trying to overcome, install the necessary parts, and then have a proper tune to take advantage of those parts.

With that said, these motors are so stout that the big restriction to power seems to just be the turbos. This ain't a high-strung NA motor we're trying to massage every last bit of turbulence &amp; restriction out of. Slaps some big fuggin snails on there, maybe replace the rods, maybe lower the CR, put some big squirters on &amp; a big-as$ MAF, Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think that is an absolute valid point sir. I am probably stopping where I am at but..

I would also like to learn as much about this car as possible and some of these guys are really pushing this platform pretty damn far. Incredible amount of knowledge floating around here.

And as to the "Seriously, why?" question, I personally think a lot of these guys are just doing much of this crazy stuff just out of fun for wrenchin, and seeing how far they can push things. I think a lot of it is that simple.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed, Just a good tune can get you as far as 3K in parts in many cases.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Former Vendor

Default I agree, I have done a lot to my s4s that is just for the fun of wrenching.

rs4 parts are the best.

wait till you see my finished product.

Quick Reply: Mihnea, mjtaylor, and any others guys with RS4 con-rod / piston knowledge