S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

minor problems with my 2000 S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minor problems with my 2000 S4

Hello to all you S4 junkies out there! Recently purchased a 2000 S4 with high mileage (~100,000), but I had to considering the price I got it for was a steal! Beautiful car in beautiful shape that runs great, checked out the Carfax report and it came out clean as a whistle, but recently I've been having some minor issues with it. To start I've apparently got a bad sensor or module on my drivers side door: occasionally it will continue to beep and show that the door is open when really it's closed. The beeping stops after a minute, but I can't lock the inside doors and the interior lights will stay on until you turn them off. Anyone experience something similar? Second, I've got water leaking into the car from f-in somewhere, and pooling behind the drivers seat. Doesn't appear to be wet anywhere else. As best I can tell, I've posiibly got a loose seam leak around the windshield glass. Only noticed it recently, so will have to continue to monitor. Anyone experience something similar? Lastly, I've had some issues with the heating/cooling console not responding when the buttons are pushed. It's almost like it freezes up for a while. Eventually it starts working again on its own, or when the car is turned off for a while. It's not the fuses that are bad, so once again, I'm at a loss. I've talked to the Audi dealer where I'm at, and they've hummed and hawed but haven't really pinpointed the problem for me. I knew when I bought the car that maintenance wasn't cheap, but I'm a bit concerned with all these seemingly small issues popping up in the last month or two. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most problems folks on this forum have are mechanical.

I don't recall any widespread issues with the items you mention. The heating console issue could be caused by something spilling from the cup holder and ruining the switches.. I've heard that one before. But nothing about the door switch or leaks. You sure it didn't have any body work done?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

never heard of those problems.. i would get away from that car
Old 03-31-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Some help

I had a problem with the driver's door. It is basically out of alignment and has to be adjusted so the sensor knows its shut. Wierd thing is that the sensor seems to be in the latch itself (as I recall), not one of those black nubby buttons like on the rear doors.

As for the water, bummer. I had this on a VW once - the plastic thingy under the hood at the base of the windshield (cover's your ECU and battery et all) was broken and leaking allowing water to drain into the car from outside

Hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: minor problems with my 2000 S4

Thanks for the responses! I know these issues aren't as exciting as some of these other 'mechanical' issues, sway bars, chips, control arms, etc... but in a way I guess I should be glad they're not. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. BTW: anyone know a good mechanic/Audi shop besides the dealer in Northern Virginia/Suburban Maryland? Many thanks.