S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

MTM chip price.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 09:07 AM
Eric L

Default MTM chip price.

Besides having the right to charge whatever they want for their chip, does anybody know why the MTM chip, ($795), is more than the APR ($599) and the TAP ($625)? Does MTM have a better product? If there is no technological / performance advantage to the MTM chip, why would a person spend the extra $175 to $200 dollars? Product loyalty? Just wondering.. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 01-24-2000, 09:20 AM
mm

Search the archives, all the pros/cons and info you could ever want is there.
Old 01-24-2000, 10:15 AM
Eric L

mm - You have an MTM chip. What were your reason for MTM? (nt)
Old 01-24-2000, 10:57 AM
mm

Default Actually, I do not have an MTM chip...

...I do not even have an S4. I'm holding out for a US version of the S4 Avant, so we'll see how that goes...

As for the MTM chip, I really like the fact that MTM has a "close" association/affiliation of sorts with Audi in Germany. Assuming I do purchase an S4 (Avant I hope) and assuming I decide to chip it, I think I would be most comfortable with MTM given their more direct relationship with Audi.

I think it is pretty clear that all the chips offer pretty similar performance, and a lot of people seem quite happy with APR, Autothority, Wett, GIAC, etc. I'm just most comfortable with MTM, as I understand they are somewhat of an "official" tuner for Audi in Germany. MTM also appears to be the most expensive chip, but my feeling is that a savings of a few hundred dollars on a chip is not that big a deal when you're talking about a $40K sports sedan. FWIW, APR has been getting excellent reviews here for quality/customer service, and they also seem to be quite knowledgeable/reputable, which is not to say the other manufacturers are not...

This topic has been discussed to death on this board though, so I would definitely recommend that you consult the archives and make up your own mind. Opinions/priorities definitely vary on this subject, so do your homework and make up your own mind.
Old 01-24-2000, 01:20 PM
Eric L

Default I assumed the MTM chip from you answer to the poll below..

I will make up my own mind based on asking questions of other owners, reading the archives and visiting websites. Subjectivity will alway enter into the responses I get from other chip owners. That's human nature. Thanks for the input.