S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My clutch pedal just jammed on me. It won't disengage. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My clutch pedal just jammed on me. It won't disengage. HELP!

So I was driving to work just fine. I was at the last set of lights before I got to the parking lot. I stuck it in first gear and started moving, then I shifted in second, no problem, then I go to shift to third, but the clutch pedal was jammed. I had to use my toes to pull the pedal back out, then managed to get the car into third gear. With enough effort, I eventually made it to the parking lot. When I got out of the car I was told to move it because they were cleaning the parking lot. I couldn't get the car into reverse with the engine on or off, so I had to put the car into neutral and push it back a bit. I then noticed a puddle of yellow oil.

Now, I had to move the car to a different parking stall. I started the car in neutral, but couldn't get the car into first gear no matter how much I pushed and pulled the clutch pedal. I turned the car off, put it in first, then started the car with first gear engaged, parked in the new location, then was forced to stall the car because the clutch wouldn't disengage. Anyone know if this will be covered under warranty and what could cause this? Everything was running perfectly fine before this happened, and It's Sunday. Dealership closed, need a ride home. I'm angry.

All tranny components are stock.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may have blown the clutch master-to-slave line. Check your brake fluid level.

Your clutch pedal return spring may also be busted.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Where do I check the brake fluids? Also,,

Would this be covered under warranty and is this an easy fix?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Brake fluid is the resevoir next to the battery inbetween the two firewalls
Old 04-17-2005, 09:10 AM

Default How exactly does the brake fluids relate to the clutch cylinder?

I don't know much about cars obviously.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default your car has a hydraulic clutch...i.e. the clutch pedal actuates a hydraulic cylinder...

which actuates the clutch. the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder is "brake fluid". the brakes AND clutch share the same fluid system, so the brake fuild resevior IS also the clutch fluid resevoir
Old 04-17-2005, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default When you pull the clutch pedal up does is come up farther than normal?

If so it could just be that the cotter pin that connects the pedal to the linkage slipped out. It's happened to me a couple times, quick fix if that is in fact what happened, but it doesn't account for the puddle of yellow oil.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Thanks guys. Will this be an easy repair or will it cost an arm and a leg?

My warranty should still cover it, but I'm concerned on how long the car will be in the shop for. I've had the car in the shop for more than 3 months at a time, about 4 times now.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: When you pull the clutch pedal up does is come up farther than normal?

No, it seems to come out as far as normal. But the funny thing is, that when I tap on the clutch pedal just slightly, it automaticaly pops in and gets depressed all the way.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that happens to me only when i'm bleeding the clutch

If you're under warranty, just take it in

Quick Reply: My clutch pedal just jammed on me. It won't disengage. HELP!