S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need Help!!! Dilemma between APR and GIAC

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! Dilemma between APR and GIAC

I have an option of getting either of the chips (APR and GIAC). Ive read some of the post but I need some direct responses. If anyone who owns either chips or knows more about these chips responed with their thoughts and or experiences with them...ie turbo life etc...I have the 2001.5 S4 so i know the turbos are a little better. Thanx
Old 02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, it's all totally arbitrary, but in my experience the GIAC is noticeably stronger on the M box,

but my rev (v7 I think had a pretty savage hiccup), my APR did not have the same inrregularities, but was also not anywhere close to as strong feeling.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is my most recent comparision...

I had MTM before and the GIAC is definetly faster. APR is faster than MTM I believe (MTM feels faster because it has more torque down low), but its not as fast as GIAC. I have never been in an APR chipped car, but I heard its smoother than GIAC. I loved the smoothness of the MTM chip, but I'm very happy with the power of the GIAC chip. GIAC does have some pretty high boost spikes so you might want to install a MBC in parallel to save your turbos and prevent throttle cut (I got TC when I swtiched from MTM to GIAC and the MBC fixed that). This is only my experiance though, there is a lot more stuff in the archives. Mark P did an awsome write-up comparing GIAC, APR and AMS chips, might wanna search for that. Hope this helps :-)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1892221.phtml">Click</a></li></ul>
Old 02-06-2005, 11:05 PM

GIAC
Old 02-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LIAR!

;-) :-p

I agree.. GIAC for 2.7Ters
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong Mike ? Your going off Revo lately ?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO : ABT/AMS is the exact best of both worlds GIAC X power, APR 5.0 smoothness
Old 02-07-2005, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't have the experience comparing them...

But I can say that I value smoothness and predictability much more over peak power. If you are trying to balance the car on the throttle the last thing you need is spikes and things like that. Smoothness is paramount.

Stephen
Old 02-07-2005, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been using the APR chip for several years and have been happy (m)

with it. As has been mentioned in past posts, it is a smooth driving chip that unquestionably improves the performance of the vehicle. I ran a GIAC chip for a couple of weeks and was impressed at the pull of that chip. That was only based on my perception though, I never did any timed runs, so it may just be the way the power comes on, which is very abrupt compared to APR. The boost does spike higher than APR.

When I had to decide which chip I wanted in the car for a cross-country trip I chose the APR. The peace of mind knowing the APR chip is less likely to rupture my TBB (50k APR chipped miles on the original TBB and going strong) or cause a turbo failure (no data to support this fear) won out in the end. APR also improves the code in their chip every so often, (I believe GIAC does as well), so you never know how the two will compare in the future.

I wouldn't say one is clearly better than the other, it depends on what you're looking for from the chip.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default depends what you are looking for. All out power, GIAC...

a little less power, but smoother and kinder to your turbos, APR.

Personally, I've been very happy with APR on my A4 for 40k miles chipped, on my S4 for 42k miles chipped, and now APR Stg3 on my S4 for the last 64k miles.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! Dilemma between APR and GIAC