S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

NEED HELP! Mis fires rough idle at start engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Mis fires rough idle at start engine light on

About 2 months ago after getting an ape tune I began to have misfire issues and a general loss of Power. I was told that the increase of power can blow the spark plugs, so I obviously changed them after having the misfire issue( also if this helps, during the misfires engine light would flash). After pulling them out I had found a little bit of oil on the threads, my buddy imeaditly jumped to head gasket or piston rings. I didn’t think so because it was very light and the odds that I blew two head gasket and 6 rings is unlikely. I called my uncle and he said possibly a valve cover gasket, so I replaced it and found a TON of oil on the sides of the engine.(no idea if this related to the valve cover gasket but I’m going to include everything). I pulled the plugs while doing the gasket to find minimal amounts of oil on the new plugs threads and sprayed them with brake cleaner and put them back in. Whelp here I am still with the same problem but now since this has been going on over 2 months it’s gotten worse. My engine light is on and when I start the car it idles very roughly and the revs go up to 1600 and drop and rise a little eventually subsiding to 900 after a couple mins. I have experienced a dramatic loss of power and have tons of misfires if I go hard on the gas.

please help!!! I’ve already tried to get some help from Audizine but to no avail
Old 08-15-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull codes with VCDS. Check for vacuum and boost leaks. Ignition coils and ignition control modules are possible. To check them you need VCDS to see if the misfires move when you swap coils or modules. Also try disconnecting MAF sensor. If misfires go away, get new MAF sensor. Don't drive car for more than 10-15 minutes without MAF if that's the problem.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont drive the car in its current state more than 15 mins or with no maf at all