S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need some Guidence on some Up grades, HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Guidence on some Up grades, HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

I have 2001 S4 Avant
I getting it ready for summer by:

Installing H&R Coil overs probably not too contraversial)

18" RS4 replica wheels with 40/235/18 S03 Poles (please let me know if you think I will have any problems fitting this to the car with only slightly lowered suspension)

I am having all this work done at AutoThority in Fairfax, VA
They have their own ECU upgrade which is at a good price Does anyone know anything about their quality and how they compare to others. In another S4 I had the GIAC-X chip which was powerful but not very smooth. I am looking into getting something a little smoother, I was previously considering the Abt chip.

Please let me know what you all think about the ECUs but also of Autothority as a shop and tuner for Audis. They seem pretty good with Porsches.

Sorry so long thank you
Old 02-19-2003, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some Guidence on some Up grades, HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

the only thing i can contribute is on the Abt chip. I've had it for a whole 2 days, and it is smoother than stock...absolutely love it.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's some input that I hope will help...

BridgestoneS-03 pp tires tend to run wide. The 225 size is wider than many 235 tires. While some 235/40-18 set-ups will work without a problem, the pp's may rub depending on your exact suspension height. My advice....stay with 225. The tires are so grippy that you don't really need 235's. I'm running 225 S-03's with a stage 3 car, and I still have have plenty of grip.

Autothority has really not made a name for itself as a premier Audi tuner. Although I have no personal experience with the product, I can say that it hasn't been a big hit in the Audi aftermarket community, and there is probably a valid reason for this. There are many brands which are tried and tested. from the multi-featured capabilities of the APR chips with their unparalleled in the industry race programs, to the powerful mid-range punch that MTM is known for to the ultra smoothness and refined nature of ABT and OCT, there are better known ways to go than Autothority. Also, the aftermarket chips have a tendency to fall in and out of favor at any given time depending on what version is out, etc, as well as other relavent and sometimes irrelavent factors.

As far as a tuning shop, I'm sure they'll do fine, and the ECU swap is a 10-minute job anyone can do themselves. So...get the work done there. Get a different chip. If smoothness is your prime concern, go ABT or OCT. If you want the ability to go the fastest and you have access to 100 octane, go APR.