S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need some input on what I plan to do w/ my brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input on what I plan to do w/ my brakes!!!

So I am doing my brakes this weekend, original pads, rotors, calipers, lines, ect. car has 57k on it, so I figured its time for a brake job. I will also be taking my car to Gingerman track sometime in April so figured this would help. Instead of cutting my rotors I think I'm going to just but some from adam at Supreme Power, he has a really good special on slotted and dimpled rotors, anyone got these from him?? Will I notice any increased stopping power w/ these vs. stock rotors. Also am planning on putting brand new pads on, what do you guys recommend?? I was also going to replace brake lines w/ SS ones.

My car will be seeing the track maybe two or three times a year at most!! so a BBK is not at the top of my list, I also don't know if I want that at all, as the only reason most people go w/ them is so they don't experience the fade that you get w/ stock brakes.

TIA!!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just did a BBK on mine since I needed pad and rotors......(more)

I really don't track the car. But I found that the car is fast enough that some spirited driving can easily out drive the stock brakes.(can't slow it down fast enough even for 1 time use).

This led me to using EBC Red brake pads. They REALLY stop the car much quicker than the stock set up. What I found was that I was eating through front pads about every 20K and digging deep into my rotors.

Faced with spending nearly $600 for a nice set of replacment rotors and performance pads again I decided to go with a BBK.

I figured that with the increased surface area, additional cooling of the aluminum calipers and lighter weight my pads and rotors would last longer and if I REALLY need the extra stopping power it would be there.

What I have found it that the pedal feel and control is MUCH better than factory set up. The stopping power is better than my EBC REDs and I am just using the stock pads with the Stoptech kit. (be aggressive on bed in). They are quieter than an aggresive pad on a stock set up. You can really feel that they saved unsprung weight too. Hard to describe but the whole car just seems to drive better now.

Sure it was a leap from the $600 I felt had to be spent on them to get the car to stop. To the $2k for a real upgrade. But I should not burn through rotors and pads as often so in the long run I should actually save money and have better stopping power.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 AM

pagid blues FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you plan to track a lot then BBK makes sense bec you will likely overheat the brakes /pads

on the track. For track pads hawk blues are nice but are not street pads at all!!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well that is what I want to avoid doing, spending 2k on a BBK when I hardly plan to track the car

I just want to try and squeeze some better stopping power with as little money as needed, which is why i'm considering the slotted/dimpled rotors from adam a supreme power. I was just seeing if anyone on the forum had gone that route instead of an insanely expensive BBK. I know people on AZ have used it, but I respect the opinons of guys on AW 10000000000 times more than 99% of the people on AZ
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Fade city. No fun. If you insist on avoiding a BBK, at a minimum, put fresh racing compound

pads on at the track. Not "sporty spice" street pads. You need real race pads. It will still be fade city - but it will take a lot longer to get there.

If you track your stock pads, they will not only fade, but they will turn to charcoal dust and be ruined. Sometimes the pad paterial even separates from the metal backings and falls off. When that happens, you have no brakes for a couple of pumps of the pedal - then when the brakes come back, it's rotor scratch city.

I'd love to hear later what you decided to do and what the result was. Report back OK?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default will report back, but i only insist on avoiding a bbk right now b/c I dont have the $$$$!!!!

But will get back on what I ended up doing and what rotors/pads i went w/!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool. Have fun!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

'save money in the long run' -- hehe.. you are as good as me at justifiying any expense for the car
Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you should be fine with a strong pad and ss lines..although a good track session might give regrets.