S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New to Audi, stage 2+ S4 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Audi, stage 2+ S4 build

Been reading these forums for a while now and am ready to start the project. My dad bought this 2000 S4 sedan about 5 years ago, didn't drive for a while, battery died, and has now been sitting for 2 years. He wanted to get rid of it so I told him I'd take it, I have a shipping company transporting it to me across the country as we speak. The plan is to get it running, check everything to make sure it's worth any investment, and build it to stage 2+ if all looks ok. Car was home to some rodents and I have a feeling some wires have been chewed. He replaced the battery and lights and everything work but it doesn't turn over or even click. Sounds like ground, relay, solenoid, stater wire? Once I get running maybe I should check compression to get baseline (or to know something's weird here before buying go fast parts, has 170k miles on it). First I will do the timing belt and associated parts (not sure when last change was but I will be beating the crap out of the car so this is number 1 on the list). Car ran good before sitting but needs "whole exhaust system" from salt rusting, so said my dad's "mechanic". Otherwise should be good, has newer clutch. Purpose of car will be just ripping mountain roads and sliding around dirt roads for fun, that's really it.

Parts and investment:

Transport...............$1200
Cash for car............$500
Battery...................$170
Exhaust..................$725 - SSAC twin 2 catted turboback (if "too quiet" remove rear muffler?)
Timing parts............$255 - FCP Euro KIT-AUDI27TBK

Chip.......................$300 - J-Fonz or Blake @ etspec (seems he does a thorough tune by getting data from ecu)
Intake....................$100 - Or just mod stock setup/piece together cone filter/pipe
Diverters.................$100 - ECS 710N
Rear sway bar..........$325 - Neuspeed (or RS4 bar?)

Total.......................$3675

Not too bad right? This car should be fun. Will stock clutch deal with this power well enough? People on the forum talk about borrowing the cam bar and pin tool to do timing belt, where might I get these from? Is it dangerous run stock tune with the 3" downpipes/must I get remap first?

Any specific comments on these parts or general build comments? Hoping I don't need tires, brakes, control arms, front end parts immediately, otherwise this could get pricey... Hope turbos are up for it... Wish me luck!