S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

new post about awful noise the car is making, with video link

Old 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new post about awful noise the car is making, with video link

ok, <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/cliff/index.html">here is the noise the car makes now</a> i'm sorry but, angelfire won't let me link directly to the movie...

my original post from yesterday afternoon is below...

Mark P, and Dr. Jekyll does it sound similar to your issues?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/threads/602500.phtml#2615041">my post from yesterday</a></li></ul>
Old 03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A little hard to tell from the video but...

When my aux belt tensioner was dying it made all sorts of different noises. It almost seemed weather dependant. Most of the time it sounded like a supercharger whine while driving. I could hear it in just about every gear until wind and road noise drowned it out. Other times it sounded like what was in your video. Really loud bearing / grindy noise. When standing over the car it sounded like it was coming from the PS pump. Mark and I ended up changing the PS pump because I was 100% sure it was the problem. Never though a simple pulley could make that much noise.

Again the best way to check if its the Aux blet tensioner would be to stick a 17mm socked on the tensioner, take the tension off, pull the aux belt off and spin the pulley. That should tell you if it's the problem. Or you can do what I did and wait for it to seize and die ;-) Just hope it's not a dying water pump (which usually sounds like marbles in the engine bay).

When the Aux belt tensioner seized it basically popped the belt off. So I had no power steering (not a big deal unless you are at a dead stop then you'll need a little upper body strength) and you can't drive too far since you are only running off the battery.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah, thats kind of what mine is doing now... all sorts of noises, weather, engine temp dependant

i appreciate all your responses... i was just looking at everything earlier... i stumbled across a post that someone asked about the p/s pump swap and you and Mark P did yours without moving the front clip... how the HELL did you do that??? are you a contortionist?

now that i found out why it was making the RIDICULOUS noise it was making before, i'm not too worried about driving it to the shop, vice towing it...
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haha, the PS pump wasn't bad. The only pain in the *** was the bipipe

But then again Mark knows his sh*t and he just tells me what to do ;-)

The auxillary belt is a pain since the front clip needs to come forward to get it out. Again, Mark saved my *** and helped me change the tensioner in my parking garage. With both he and I working we pulled everything apart, changed the tensioner and buttoned everything up in an hour and 20 min... in 11 degree weather. I still owe him for that one.

Yea don't worry about driving it. There still is a small chance it's the water pump (since it's basically right under the aux belt tensioner) but I highly doubt it. From the sounds of it you'r probably fine. Even if it does the tensioner does die you can still drive the car, so no biggie.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default damn, i wish i had someone that lived in the NOVA area to save my ***!!! lol

well, i owe both of you one, ESPECIALLY if its either p/s pump or acc belt tensioner that is bad...

i hadn't heard of the acc tensioner going bad until i posted my issues up...

thanks again, once again, AW comes through...

i don't bother on any other forum anymore!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No problem, glad I could help :-)

Keep me posted on the issue. I'm interested to see if it actually is aux belt. I'd be suprised if it's not.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default alright, hopefully you'll see this soon but, i took everything out and spun both

the power steering pump and the acc belt tensioner... the power steering pulley had about 1/2 a millimeter play in it, i can rock it and hear an obvious clicking...

the acc belt tensioner made a sort of grinding noise when i spun it but i don't think it had any play in it... does that sound about right? i think i can sacrifice $70 to get the acc belt tensioner (ecs tuning has them) and i'll look around for a rebuilt or used power steering pump, hopefully get this stuff swapped out by next weekend...

thanks again, i'll try and document everything with photos...
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Default supercharger whine rpm dependent

I have a 1998 A8 that is making a whine(supercharger like) that is rpm dependent. My mechanic thinks I need a new TC and transmission. The weird thing is that if I turn the car off and restart it the sound goes away for a minute? The car is shifting just fine and no slip can be detected.