S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2001 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S4

Local dealer has a 2001 S4, yellow, auto, 96,700mi @ $10495.00
I may consider it for a daily driver.
Thoughts, problem areas, etc?

Thank You
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Price is a little high but average for a dealer, its going to need a timing belt. if it hasnt been done then u should use that to talk down the price, thats what i did! Timing belt cant be a close to a 2000 dollar job. These things are very temperamental but are great cars if they are taken care of properly, so you should ask for a service record to make sure its been serviced regularly. Then get ready for normal wear items to wear out, wheel bearings, tbb, control arms, clutch, possibly turbos if they are not taken care of properly.

I just bought one and i love it so far
Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to do all your own work and aren't afraid of spending around $5000 in the next year or two, go for it. If you do not match this criteria, move on. This car will ruin your life if not. I do all my own work, as do many on here, and it still at times we get drug down by these cars.

As for problem areas. Spend about a month reading through here and the other forum and you will answer any question you could ever fathom thinking up.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Info

Dealer error in listing, it's not an automatic and it is one owner w/records.

However, if as indicated they are basically an unreliable nuisance I'll go back to TT's.
Surprised these are not better cars.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cwade

However, if as indicated they are basically an unreliable nuisance I'll go back to TT's.
Where exactly did you get this from? If buy a car with 100k that has two turbochargers and timing belt that is supposed to be changed at 75 - 90k how does this equate to "unreliable nuisance"? We've done this "helping a potential S4 owner" about 1000 times in these forums in response to the same question you asked - a quick search would have supplied you with all you need to know.

As for these not being "better cars" that statement really irks me, and I wish I could elaborate. If you like the TT, by all means go with that.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cwade

TT's are girl cars
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rwester19
TT's are girl cars
Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

By a Corrolla, they don't make enough power to hurt themselves so nothing can go wrong - Oh what a feeling....
Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did I get this from?
The 2 responses I received from my query. Excerpts below.

Perhaps if someone had chimed in with more positive information I would have a different outlook.
My search did not provide much information.

Now if someone wants to respond in civil commentary with helpful information or link it would be appreciated.

"These things are very temperamental"

"If you are going to do all your own work and aren't afraid of spending around $5000 in the next year or two, go for it. If you do not match this criteria, move on. This car will ruin your life if not. I do all my own work, as do many on here, and it still at times we get drug down by these cars."
Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you mistaking "matter of fact" responses as negative comments. Bottom line:

1. B5 S4's are a great platform for tuning. Just look at the amount of parts available for the B5 vs. the newer S4's (oh and by the way, they didn't make that many B5 S4's)
2. Timing belts need replaced every ~85k - 100k. Minimum cost in parts = $400 + 8 to 10 hrs of labor
3. Rear wheel bearings are a common problem. $400 per side to replace at the dealer + alignment charges. They've been know to last anywhere from 20k to 100k miles (My right rear has had at least 3 in 180k miles)
4. Autodimming rear view mirrors usually go bad (~$300-400)
5. Seats are known to rock due to slop in the rails
6. After coolant pumps will leak
7. Turbos will fail (~$3-5000k at the dealer to replace with stock parts
8. 1st gear syncros will fail (you'll get use to downshifting into 2nd and then to 1st when you're at a complete stop.
9. Center console information panel will get so stripped with dead lines that you'll turn it off.
10. Rear speakers will blow
11. HID lamps will fail ($200 to 400 for aftermarket, but you might as well cough up the extra $600 for the E-code headlamps as well.
12. Clutch will go (my stock one went at 160k) and you'll end up pulling the motor and trans.
13. Guys - what else is am I missing?????

Bottom line - I love mine. Despite all the maintenance problems that come up with high mileage S4's, I've gone through 3 of them and have regretted everyone I've sold.

Read Donromani's EPIC RS6 thread and you'll see why everyone is so passionate about them. I honestly can't wait to save up the cash and follow the same path.

At the end of the day, if you don't mind wrenching on your own stuff, AW and QuattroWorld have just about all the info you need to save yourself thousands of dollars in dealer fees, but they can't do anything for the money that you'll spend on upgrades cause its just so gosh darn fun.

Quick Reply: 2001 S4