Normal Oil Pressure? - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal Oil Pressure?

Reply

 
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default Normal Oil Pressure?

What is the normal oil pressure for a b5 at idle, at normal operating temp?
rwester19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:22 PM
  #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,902
Default

Originally Posted by rwester19 View Post
What is the normal oil pressure for a b5 at idle, at normal operating temp?
The OEM oil pressure sender for the b5s4 is rated between 1.2 and 1.6 bar. I suspect that the normal operating pressure is somewhere in that range but I don't know the exact number.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge installed? What reading are you getting?
donromani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

nope... haha i wish i had a gauge mounted in the car. A buddy of mines got the tool for testing pressure. So im thinking about borrowing that from him... ill report any findings if i end up going threw with it.
rwester19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,902
Default

Originally Posted by rwester19 View Post
nope... haha i wish i had a gauge mounted in the car. A buddy of mines got the tool for testing pressure. So im thinking about borrowing that from him... ill report any findings if i end up going threw with it.
Are you worried you might have a leak, or what's your reason for testing the oil pressure?
donromani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Yeah im worried that ive got a leak somewhere. Its hard for me to tell tho because my driveway has oil stains all over it from when an oil cooler line went on my truck. I want to test it... drive it for a week... .then test it again to see if there is a drop. I havnt owned the car for too long and i cant get a good reading from to dipstick. Valve cover gasket looks good, no oil on the plugs. i can see any oil residue anywhere else. I got to do a timing belt soon.. i dont want to get it apart to find that i need a cam seal or something. Where do these things leak
rwester19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:22 PM
  #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,902
Default

Originally Posted by rwester19 View Post
Yeah im worried that ive got a leak somewhere. Its hard for me to tell tho because my driveway has oil stains all over it from when an oil cooler line went on my truck. I want to test it... drive it for a week... .then test it again to see if there is a drop. I havnt owned the car for too long and i cant get a good reading from to dipstick. Valve cover gasket looks good, no oil on the plugs. i can see any oil residue anywhere else. I got to do a timing belt soon.. i dont want to get it apart to find that i need a cam seal or something. Where do these things leak
They actually are not that prone to leaking oil but when they do it is the typical culprits: seals, gaskets and so on. The oil cooler and oil pan can leak small amounts as well.

If you have existing oil spots on the floor then try putting down a big piece of cardboard and parking only the Audi on it. If you have stains on the cardboard then you'll know.
donromani is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ECS Tuning-Audi
A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
17
08-08-2017 04:38 AM
Jan_PL_S6
Vehicles For Sale
12
11-27-2015 07:27 AM
hardipk5
Audi 90 / 80 / Coupe quattro / Cabriolet
17
11-24-2015 03:42 AM
Clarkbowman
Audi allroad
3
09-10-2015 05:46 AM
ECS Tuning-Audi
Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8)
0
09-01-2015 08:27 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:51 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: