S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

normal or overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default normal or overheating?

When I travel in very heavy traffic (eg: cover 5 miles over a period of 1hr) I notice that my coolant gauge rises approximately a notch (1oclock position) above its normal 12o'clock position. My timing belt/waterpump/thermostat have been changed ~10k miles ago and the problem still persists. I have also replaced my coolant sensor, so I can rule that out as the possible culprit. My oil gauge temperature hovers normally around 215-225F. Again, this only happens in heavy heavy traffic. It decreases to the 12oclock position when I either put the car in neutral/park, when I deliberately crank up the heater, or when I start driving at normal speeds.

The ambient temperature is roughly 70F. In regular stop and go traffic, the temperature gauge seems to be okay. I've already checked the coolant level and it looks to be normal.

Other than that, the gauge stays pinned in the vertical position.

I've STFA and found that the clutch fan may be the culprit however I'd like to see if there is anything else that I may have overlooked.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My temp gauge always stays at 12 o'clock, but my oil temp will rise slightly above 225 in heavy

traffic or high speed highway driving. Something simple that is easily overlooked is coolant concentration. If you are not at a 50/50 mix (and heavy on coolant vs water) you will loose heat transfer efficiency - laymans terms: car will run hotter than normal. If you have access to a hydrometer (coolant tester with a graduated glass bulb inside) check your coolant's density and if it's too concentrated, you can remove coolant with old turkey baster and add DISTILLED water to bring down the concentration.

Pure water is more efficient at removing heat from the engine, but it will cause corrosion and also overheating/freezing. Antifreeze reduces this efficiency but adds protection against corrosion, freezing, and lubricates the water pump. Unless you live in Canada or extreme norther climates, use a max of 50/50 for best performance. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do all the fans run when the AC is on?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:07 AM

Good point. IIRC, both fans should come on at all times when A/C is switched on.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just checked, concentration is 50/50. In addition, I noticed this happening before

and after my timing belt service which included a flush of the cooling system.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

same thing happens to me..
Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, passenger side fan kicks in with A/C while driverside fan constantly runs.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IMHO that is normal; my car has done that since I purchased her and she runs like a champ.

What are the ambient temps. like in your region? I live in Sacramento where it can sit above 100 for days, even weeks at a time during the summer months. The humidity can get bad but it usually is at a fairly low percentage. Hope that helps some.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 AM

Default One other thing is that the resistance characteristics of the sending unit can change slightly over

time; thus your guage's "normal" reading can change slightly over time and what used to be straight vertical can change to 12:30 or 1:00 so to speak and your engine could still be at the same temp it was before. Just gauge "error". New sending unit may change the reading slightly, but you'll still be OK and are very likely just seeing "normal" conditions. Hope this isn't too confusing. I've seen this before in industrial instruments.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I notice it only during times I travel long distances.

Ambient temp where I noticed it happening was 70F. I did notice it also when the ambient temp was 30F, but the car was idling for at least 1hr and moved approx 1 mile in gridlock traffic.

When I travel from CT to MD or vice versa, I hit traffic around I-95 in NYC where it sometimes occurs.

Thanks for everyones input.

Quick Reply: normal or overheating?