S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Okay, i did something stupid: (semi-long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, i did something stupid: (semi-long)

It all happens to the best of us whether they want to admit it or not, BUT I ran out of gas 20 feet from the gas station the other day, I recomment filling up when hte DTE says 0, as I was only about 2 miles past the 0.

The problem now is this, after filling it up, i could tell the car was in limp mode, and within 2 miles, I got home, and checked the codes. Bank 1 too rich, Bank 2 too rich, both short term on the labeling. I cleared the codes, car ran a little bit better, but not much better.
Its not stumbling, but it feels like it isnt boosting and or timing is just completely gone, the power in the upper RPM's just isnt their. as it starts to boost, then cuts power @ WOT. Well after 100 miles of driving, the check engine like came back up with those same codes. I wish I had logs to show, but i dont. Any of the audi guru's have any clues? Maybe fuel filter? Fuel pump? Fouled plugs? EGT?...... Sigh...
Old 04-15-2005, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default probobly dirty injectors (long)

When ever any product is produced whether it be a brand new audi, the detergent you put in your laundry, or the ketchup in your fridge, it must meet the companies, industries, and governmental regulations. However, it should be kept in mind that these regulations are just that, simply tolerances of purity, not a guarantee of perfection (100% purity whenever working with chemicals does not exist. Therefore, every time you fill up your tank you are putting in say 99.9% usable fuel and .1% other gunk. So you fill up, run down 13 of the 15 gallons you put in, and repeat. Every time you do this, the extra sediment in the gasoline sits in the bottom of your tank just hanging out making that last bit of gas dirtier and dirtier every time. Usually this doesn't cause a problem, however, when you run your tank dry like you did, all of that crap gas and gunk that has accumulated over time gets sucked up into the fuel system and probably either jams up the filter or goes past it to the injectors. If the injectors get all gooped up they don't spit a nice fine mist, rather they squirt out a spatter of fuel before every compression stroke. My guess is, this would be what happened. If I were you, I would pick up a good fuel injector cleaner, I recommend chevron's pro-gard (not the additive for prevention, but he hardcore cleaner called "clean-up"). Try running that through and see if it helps your problem.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

will do, and thanks!