S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OT: I know some of you S4 owners also own sport bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: I know some of you S4 owners also own sport bikes...

I am seriously considering one, as a means of a second mode of transportation (mainly for gas mileage). Can any of you guys let me know youw experiences with owning one, what i should look for, and a good forum i can get on to learn some more about this (I don't know a damn thing about motorcycles)

S4 relevance: most people looking for speed go for the S4, and a bike in addition to that (hoping this is will work ;/
Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sadly, I found out *the* Sports Bike I liked the most was never available in the US

The RD & RZ series two-strokes bikes had big smile making turbo-like toque-curve-spiking power-bands. Alas two-strokes never were very environmentally friendly, nor quiet, and since I'm now in California : two-strokes are just "gross".

These days I'm think about getting a Ducati SS 900 ... <yawn>

But if you want practical and aren't interested to do your own maint. work (which is needed all too frequently for Italian bikes) then get a Honda 650~750 for the city/hwy, or a BMW Twin if you don't mind the weight.<ul><li><a href="http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mctext/rzstory.html">All time favourite</a></li></ul>
Old 06-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Default I have a Triumph Daytona 600. It's a '04. My first bike. If you are a first

time rider I wouldn't go with anything to powerful. I'd assume your state has the Motorcycle Safety Class. I would def. Take it. Here in Pa it is free. It's about 20 hours of your life to be taught to ride. I only went with the triumph because of the feel of it. I can sit on it and my feet reach both sides. I am 5'11. Also for the price. I played the dealer game and was able to get 1200 of the price of the bike which was $8K plus my $500 down my month payments are $150 a month with 2.9% interest. Those would be my suggestions. Mike2k has the same bike as me as well. Good luck and be safe. PA helmets are optional. I wear mine everywhere. We don't want you to become an organ donor.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Similarly, Triumph TT600...

... 2000, was my first bike, though I had ridden before. Still have the bike, but don't ride to work like I used, damn promotions mean dressing nicer and having the flexibility of having a car around.

Definately take the MSF course. In CA, taking the course circumvents the DMV riding trial.

For a first bike, I wouldn't got bigger than 600cc. Most will have plenty of power without being overkill. A 600 will get pretty good gas mileage and will still be able to do more than you'll be capable. Even having mine for 5 years, and having ridden some other awesome machines, I'm still really happy. It's smaller and better gas mileage, yet will out perform my ability. No need to upgrade anytime soon.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Well I am a pretty big guy so I went for a decent sized bike. Yeah does

get good gas milage. I get around 40per gallon. The class helped me a lot. Besides in the end you get to take the tests and stuff so in a two week period you get the training in class and hands on and at the end test and get the license. I had to use a dirt bike for my class. :-) With taking that class here in PA I don't technically have to wear a helmet, but f*ck that man. I want my brain a little longer. It's the damn blue hairs you have to watch out for. :-)
Old 06-20-2005, 08:20 AM

Default I still want a ducati though. My fave bike of all time. They have an 800

which only has like 75hp compared to the daytona which has 110. Same price as my bike now new. I am not sure though.